Boot Haiku from 2nd Harddisc with XP bootmanager

Hi everybody,

I have a running Haiku R2 installation, that had been in a primary partition on the first harddisc.
Now I was forced to switch my 2 HDs (failure in MBR, i think), Haiku is on the 2nd HD now.

When I try to boot it with the bootpart file, I’ve created with dd, I get a “read error”.
Is it actually possible to use bootpart files on 2nd HD in the bootmanager of XP?
if not do you know another bootmanager that can handle Haiku and also an older Win2K installation on the 2nd HD?

I’ve also tried to reinstall Haiku. Booting from an USB stick the starts the rocket, then hangs. I have a stick with LED, that stops blincking a few seconds after the rocket gets red.

As workarund I can press space bar when booting from the stick and select the installed Haiku installation. That still works but of course is to circuitous in the long run.

There is no boot manager with XP, but there is “NT Loader”.
NT Loader can “chain-load” an other bootable partition, but it must be located on the same drive.
XP is like that. sorry.

However, Your workaround is fine, so why don’t you use “Installer” to reinstall your old Haiku onto your new disk !

That’s because I’m too stupid :wink: Just thought about installing Haiku from stick.

Thanks for the answer.

I do not agree.
People who uses Haiku can not be stupid !

Regards

Don’t know about a second disk. I don’t see why not. Here’s a tutorial I wrote about this:

http://haikuware.com/wikis/doku.php?id=tutorials:install-haiku-beside-windows

This would probably be your easiest option from Windows: http://www.osloader.com/download.htm

I would highly recommend Plop’s Bootmanager though, it can do this for sure. I like that you can force USB 1.1 boot from it.

[quote=kvdman]Don’t know about a second disk. I don’t see why not. Here’s a tutorial I wrote about this:

http://haikuware.com/wikis/doku.php?id=tutorials:install-haiku-beside-windows
[/quote]

this method contains some problems :

• you can't choose the target volume size (equal to the source volume size).
  • you should call makebootable before creating the "c:\Haiku" file, since makebootable writes the bootsector wich is extracted with bootpart.
  • bootpart relies on NT Loader and its limits (it only supports the boot device)

I don’t know Plop’s Bootmanager but I prefer keep using NT loader to “chain-load” my Haiku volume since it doesn’t alter the XP boot sequence.

‘you can’t choose the target volume size (equal to the source volume size).’

you do the resizing with gparted.

‘you should call makebootable before creating the “c:\Haiku” file, since makebootable writes the bootsector wich is extracted with bootpart.’

makebootable makes the partition bootable. I made the file from bootpart after and it worked fine.

you are welcome to rewrite the wiki or comment on it there.

Does Gparted support BeFS resizing ? I don’t think so ! If you resize the partition the filesystem doesn’t see more space.

That’s exactly what I said, but in the wiki the steps are inverted.

Easy starsseed.

I think there is misunderstanding between you & Karl.

Does Gparted support BeFS resizing ? I don’t think so ! If you resize the partition the filesystem doesn’t see more space.

From WIKI:
“Shrink your NTFS or FAT32 partition that Windows is sitting on to make room for a partition that Haiku will go on…”

Karl is talking about resizing Windows (or Linux) filesystems to create a new partition to use for BFS. Not about resizing BFS - I do not know of any program that does BFS resizing.

Edit:
makebootable should be run before you do the dd command (installer is supposed to run it automatically after copying files over so should not make a difference but good to get steps in right order).

Os loader works. Used it a bunch. It is the easiest way to multiboot a widnows machine without having to exert a ton of effort.

Karl’s installs Haiku using dd, so I said you can’t choose the volume size even if you use gparted (or not). If you do so, you loose a lot of space on our disk…

Karl copy a raw image to a partition, he doesn’t use Installer.
However, I’m totally agree with you : our Installer tool is much more suitable than dd.

edit:

+1

[quote=starsseed][quote=tonestone57]
Karl is talking about resizing Windows (or Linux) filesystems to create a new partition to use for BFS. Not about resizing BFS - I do not know of any program that does BFS resizing.
[/quote]
Karl’s installs Haiku using dd, so I said you can’t choose the volume size even if you use gparted (or not). If you do so, you loose a lot of space on our disk…

Karl copy a raw image to a partition, he doesn’t use Installer.
However, I’m totally agree with you : our Installer tool is much more suitable than dd.

edit:

+1[/quote]

I meant http://www.osloader.com/download.htm now wether thats a Nt loader or not makes no difference to me.

Hi Starseed,

I don’t say anything about resizing a Haiku partition in the Wiki (or resizing a Windows installation on a Linux filesystem for that matter :-). The Wiki’s title is, to install Haiku beside Windows. From the Wiki:

'“Shrink your NTFS or FAT32 partition that Windows is sitting on to make room for a partition that Haiku will go on…”

You’re resizing the Windows partition to make room for a partition for your Haiku install.

It should be noted that BeFS can’t be resized, and that DD’ing the image will not use the entire space of the partition.

Feel free to edit it.