Blender and gallium on haiku

I’ve used Blender for quite some time and on different hardware setups, and I can say that the strength of your videocard acceleration makes quite a difference in performance for advanced modeling and 3d sculpting. So I don’t think even top-of-the-line desktop cpu’s will make the lack of hardware 3d acceleration tolerable. However, if you are primarily going to do rendering then it’s a totally different thing since the rendering is all done by the cpu and the lack of 3d acceleration should only come into play if you want to move things around in the scene you want to render.

Blender 2.49 and 4.5 are very needed, now with this fix on opengl we can compile it? it can work? i know now that programn dont need 3d aceleration for work(yes more slowly but work)
can we have new blenders version for blender alfa3?

Whom exactly needs blender ? I would argue to get MS office " or some other office suite"running first.

Feel free to argue all you want :slight_smile: I would argue that 3D apps and Office productivity are for very different sets of users. There are many Haiku users who would rather tinker with 3D models than write a book report in a Word clone. Not that Office apps aren’t important, they are. But they address different sets of users.

Could any one be awesome and re-upload the SoftPipe LLVM driver to somewhere? The link in the eariler post is now down sadly :confused: If theres a newer version of that avaiable then that would be fantastic :slight_smile:

I wonder how the Gallium 3D driver port is progressing?

Also i hope for this GSOC they have assigned someone to rebuild the app_server with 3D hardware acceleration. Seems like thats the feature that Haiku lacks the most (that a a proper network interface)

SIGH Haiku has progressed past just being a BeOS clone but sadily its still saddeled with redundant backward compatability intead of adding more modern features. Someday, someday…

It was not the LLVM-optimized software pipe renderer, but the non-LLVM softpipe renderer, which was and will probably always be slower than the hand-optimized Mesa software renderer you already have builtin in Haiku.

You miss nothing here really, except the ability to experience it yourself :wink:

Adrian has already posted some comments on the haiku-development mailing list. It seems he’s trying to reuse a former Linux Kernel Library haiku port to see if it could ease porting DRM and heavily Linuxy gallium drivers code.

Nobody can today say how far this path will goes or even if it will.

Sorry to break it, but no: there is no point for such task until we have at least some 3D hardware acceleration working. :slight_smile:

Being there too, and done, well, not enough as I would want to improve that situation.

@fortheloveofhaiku

Softpipe & LLVMpipe are different. Softpipe is similar to MESA driver we have in Haiku now but giving about half the performance. I had tested it many months back. It was the first step to getting Gallium3D ported to Haiku.

It will take about 4 months before we know how well progress on Gallium3D is going. That one developer took this on just recently.

app_server with 3D hardware accel is not planned for R1. A developer could always do this but not required for R1 release. I think trying to pack too much into R1 is bad idea. Should focus on getting R1 out there sooner and leave this for R2.

If developers keep adding one thing after another to Haiku then it will take forever to release R1. Also, if they get R1 out sooner then they can focus on R2 with many improvements and newer features.

Oh right yeah that makes sense, i assumed that Softpipe and LLVM where one in the same. Looks like there is a lot of work to be done before we see hardware acceleration up and running globally in haiku (lets hope it won’t take another 10 years, I’m running out of decades)

Theres hardly any documentation of how developers hand utilize mesa in certain 3d centric applications is there? I have an app that I’m working on that would benefit from OpenGL support but am not really sure where to start with it.

I would so love if Haiku inc could find a stable revenue stream and just pump money for development into this project, Haiku no doubt has a lot of potential and now with a much more eco system theres less chance for it to be muscled out of the market by the bigger punters like BeOS was. God i miss Be inc.

One developer accepted the Gallium 3D bounty. If he has good coding skills then he should complete most of the work in about 1 year.
http://haikuware.com/bounties

You would need to look @ OpenGL API for that. OpenGL programs link to OpenGL library (libGL.so) on Haiku.
From Mesa site, “Mesa 7.4.4 implements the OpenGL 2.1 API”
Haiku uses Mesa 7.4.4 or 7.6 and so you should stick with OpenGL version 2.1.

OpenGL documentation:

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/

Also, getting some OpenGL programs and demos and looking at the code would help you out. Check Sourceforge or get the Mesa OpenGL demos source code to get you started.

Also check out Haiku’s GLTeapot source. That uses OpenGL 3D.

Many OpenGL portable/demos applications are using GLUT API to abstract from the host graphical system. Haiku has GLUT support built-in too (in libGL.so), so you should be able to port many of these programs to Haiku.

The most famous is glgears.

It’s even available as a test program in Haiku source tree:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/tests/kits/opengl/demos/gears

Is gallium 3d a death project? why there does not exist the git of that project? was erased :frowning:

We have a current mesa port … Alexander von Gluck aka kallisti5 is the man that does most of the Mesa work. Search for his posts on the mailing lists. Currently mesa is being refactored to reduce the ammount of code Haiku has to maintain. Also some of the Haiku code is maintained in Mesa itself these days.

Searching for his real name on the mainling list seems to turn up the most results.

We already have some Gallium support through LLVMpipe… which can be alot faster than the old software renderer since it multi-threads better. I don’t remember if it is enabled by default. That said it is still a CPU based renderer and we don’t have hardware 3d support yet.

is there anything haiku users with different video hardware can do to help in driver development? i remember hearing about some reverse engineering efforts some time ago under linux.

1 Like

but there already are the nouveu and many info already in reverse engin, anyway seems to be hard port it to haiku.

i wrote that more than three years ago, things have changed some and there’s official gallium support upstream. software rendering only, via llvmpipe, for the time being. i don’t know wether work on the accelerant for hardware access is underway or on hold though. haiku uses a completely different graphics stack from linux so porting drivers is not straightforward.

Or maybe it’s better to use drivers layer from BSD as it done with WLAN?
Then official BSD drivers can be used.

It would great to have Blender running on Haiku even without the real time viewing part. I downloaded Blender source, set up some basic cmake config, but get an error that cmake cannot find some PYTHON_LIBs. I filed a cmake haikuports ticket but it was rejected. I downloaded the Blender recipe from haikuports but haikuporter is incompatible with it. I welcome any assistance.

1 Like

if you can get compile blender please share the binary here :slight_smile:

FWIW python3 libs are only found on x86 and x86_64.

Guys, are you even trying? :slight_smile:
http://chunk.io/f/5161b6af9fd049c1a3f1b50abc864f5a
Lemme report back later…