Blank monitor on boot

Hi, all. I enjoyed test driving Haiku in a virtual environment so I decided to take the plunge and try a main system install using the nightly x86 GCC 2 hrev51048 build. From the CD, the boot logo got through the rocket icon, but after that, the monitor went blank, and I got a bouncy message saying “Input Not Supported.” The odd thing was that the power light never changed colors like when I’ve had driver problems under *nix. I tried to reboot and tap the space bar to go into safe mode, but I didn’t have any luck. I’ll give that another shot, but I also wanted to see if anybody has suggestions for other ways to troubleshoot? I’m using a DVI cable. I’m thinking that VGA might be worth a shot. Also, the hardware is an AMD A6-5400K APU (Radeon HD 7540D) with integrated motherboard graphics output. The radeon_hd driver seems to support that model so I’m leaning towards getting the other cable first, but maybe I’m overlooking something else?

Hold down Space while booting. With modern hardware you need to be really quick about it, and it may take a few tries. It should give you a whole lot of extra options. The one you want is Safe Video mode, which kicks you into VESA instead of the GPU-specific driver.

https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/bootloader.html

If that works for you, you can make the change permanent. The easy way is to edit /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/kernel. The more complicated way is to blacklist the package containing the driver.

Unless you are editing video or doing huge graphics files, Haiku’s VESA driver is quite satisfactory and very stable. I run VESA on all my installations, it is just easier to live with.

If you can’t do it with the space bar (maybe your BIOS says “keyboard error” if you press it too early), you can also try with shift.
If you have bootman installed, what works well is highlighting an entry there, hold shift, then press enter while keeping shift pressed.