BIOS/Setup Replacement

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way that I can add extra functionality to my BIOS. Is there such a thing as a small program that boots, and can act like a BIOS setup page, allowing the user to make more complex changes, and saving them back to the CMOS? Or, is there a good open source type thing that could replace my BIOS?

The short answer to your question is, no one created a good open source replacement for your BIOS. These things are not easy to build or test.

@stellarpower are you sure? coreboot supports quite a lot of chipsets (Lots of AMD and VIA with some intel) these days…

It is also possible to modify standards BIOSs but that isn’t for the faint of heart or inexperienced (I fall somewhere in between :wink: )

Do you now what chipset your computer has? It is also worthwhile to note that there are 3 versions of coreboot and many chipsets are supported on one but not the others so you moght want to look into that.

http://www.coreboot.org/ is your best shot. Check it out and good luck. My motherboard isn’t supported, maby your is.

Thanks, but it doesn’t seem to be supported. I would have thought that someone would have created a bootable utility that works like an ‘advanced BIOS’.