Beta 4 Wishlist

Does someone already have a github repo we could all work on for this?

I’ll get a branch added on my Github with the HaikuPorts recipe and patchset so you can grab that if you want. I’ll update here with the details when done.

2 Likes

So do Haiku devs create the add-ons, but officially its hosted by Oracle? Or do they do work on it as well?

At some point Haiku Additions were working I guess, and they made it back up to the Oracle repo: https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk It has not been maintained for some time clearly but the code is still there. Based on that I’m assuming they’ll accept patches should someone be willing to put in the effort to get everything working and bring it up to their standards.

Here’s the work I have so far: In progress work · wattoc/haikuports@136d640 · GitHub

The main driver (vboxdev) and module (vboxguest) work, VBoxControl and VBoxService both work as far as I can tell. The VBoxTray app is a complete mess and breaks as soon as it tries to Archive the View - I’ve been mainly experimenting on that recently but have no real idea what the issue is there - I’ve tried stripping the thing down to bare essentials and it still crashes, so I’m thinking it’s upset with something linked in to it or maybe some sort of compiler config issues.

vboxsf, the shared folder driver is missing a symbol for VBoxGuestIDC and that’s because there’s not an equivalent for that on Haiku. Probably what needs done for that is separate IDC code for Haiku to use existing functions, like OS2, Darwin and Win builds are doing. It’s defaulting to the Unix code which expects that symbol implemented somehow.

I’ve been working on this intermittently for some time. To work on it you’ll need a decent understanding of Haiku drivers and modules and debugging them, plus a fair amount of patience. There’s a separating between ring 0 and ring 3 code, both are used, and the ring 0 code has additional complication due to the Haiku drivers using modules.

Anyway this is probably getting a bit off topic here, so I won’t carry on the discussion in this thread.

9 Likes

Just reporting back to thank you! Now Haiku is the most used system on that machine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If Clover worked for you, consider to write a guide.

4 Likes

Here is my wishlist

• Reevaluate the process for new developers to submit changes, like accepting pull-requests on Github.
  • Use front page more often to promote progress, like the RISC-V progress etc.
  • Use Youtube like Andreas does with SerenityOS (Promotion team).

Improved Webbrowser

• support for Netflix/HBO/A-Prime (Widewine)
  • Faster site loading
  • Built in ad-blocking
  • Minor fixes in the GUI, like following the HIG (open image in new window actually opens a new tab etc).
  • Horizontal center info in status view

AppServer/IKit

• Dropshadows
  • Animations
  • Support for all type of shapes for windows/decorators not only rectangles
  • Better Scaling of UI

Tracker

• Re add support for larger icons in List layout
  • Better grid layout on desktop (See MacOS).
  • zSnake

HaikuDepot

• List recently updated packages
  • List installed packages
  • Fix the drawing glitch in bottom where it leaks through from underneath.
  • Fix all texts for Dark Mode.
7 Likes

What is the reason for this?

Its ugly when its not horizontal centered, its about one or two pixels off.

please expand a Robin Hood serwer to web 2.0+

2 Likes

Image preview is a wanted feature.
In Tracker or as Tracker Add-on.
Grab picture from Video was a BeOs feature.
Rotate a Vertical video and adjust automatically, even with black border sides…

Webcam support. To make Video conferences possible, like Zoom.

Better or new siimple Audio recorder with basic cut options.

7 Likes

We already get more pull requests than we can review. If we want to improve the patch submission process, we should do it to make things easier for people who review the changes, not people who sublit them, at first, because currently that’s where the problems are.

I think he does live coding sessions and things like that? It’s not something that the promotion team could do.

We had one developper screencasting some of his work: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt_VnmNWRzN0DiI1EYt7F4Q but lately he has been busy with other things.

5 Likes

My memory might fool me, but last time I had a dev machine up I remember that it was cumbersome to setup. Will try again on my iMac that now has Haiku installed.

Yeah, developer screencast + new recent features.

The process is overall easy enough, there is a short page detailing it: https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/CodingGuidelines/SubmittingPatches

1 Like

Tracker

• Re add support for larger icons in List layout

There is still support for 32x32 icons in Tracker, but some jerk (waddlesplash in hrev52496 apparently) took away the menu items that allowed you to select the option. You have to set your font large enough for the feature to be enabled. Of course you may want to use 32x32 icons in list mode even with a smaller font, but that was deemed superfluous by the powers that be.

If you think the menu item should be there, just revert his commit. You have as much right to do so as he had to remove it. Stand up for what you believe is right. If other developers have an opinion about it, then they can raise their voices and start a discussion. But whatever you do, don’t let anybody run you over.

3 Likes

Can we avoid being insulting to each other here, please?

13 Likes

Which browser do you use to authorize Gerrit <> Github? None I tried in Haiku worked?

Indeed! I was unpleasantly surprised to read this :frowning:

2 Likes

Haikus git repo is not some graffiti wall, why exactly are you telling developers to abandon our usual collaboration process and behave in a hostile way?

Your attitude recently has been toxic, which I quite dislike.

1 Like