Best hardware compatibility for Haiku?

What is the best hardware components for running Haiku concerning compatibility? If anyone had to compile a list, what would be in that list?

https://hardware.besly.de/index.php?headline=Hardwarelist

Apart from being excellent in their own right, Thankpads generally offer good compatibility.

You can pick up Thinkpads from 2012 and later for very little money, and even the more modestly specified ones are fast enough for most purposes.

In my view the T430 offers good performance, excellent quality, and amazing upgradability. The W530 (the 5 indicates a 15" screen) is the same generation, with better graphics, and is superb.

The next year saw the W541, which has a numeric keypad, which I find very useful. The similar W540 has an inferior touchpad, but is fine if used with a mouse.

3 Likes

Those sound great! I like Thinkpads too. However none of those models are currently listed on the BeSly hardware complete systems list. Can you confirm what does or does not work with Haiku on these models? Graphics? Sound? Ethernet? Wireless?

Iā€™ve found that 2008-2014 intel Macs generally work quite well except wifi does not work and maybe sound is hit-or-miss. One nice thing with these is that bluetooth keyboards and mice work because they are handled by the computer firmware and presented to the OS as regular keyboards/mice.

It would be so nice to offer a handful of specific laptop models that are fairly ubiquitous, fairly old and cheap, but very well supported. Any brand will do, but ideally its a model that are common enough that they can be found on your local Craigslist/Kijiji/FBMP.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the list is a bit of a mess at the moment. Itā€™s not in order, and some things appear twice, like the W540 (which is identical to the W541 apart from the touchpad).

My T430 is out of action at the moment, so I canā€™t test it with Beta 4, but it has always worked fine, as does my very similar X230. The T430s and T430U are variants of the T430, and they ARE listed.

The W530 is also very similar to those, and I will test it shortly.

4 Likes

Hello Sebrof,

the list is based on user information. As a result, it may be that some entries are duplicated. But you can also see that some models are sometimes better supported, sometimes not.
Just because a manufacturer uses the same model designation does not necessarily mean that the same components are used throughout production.
We also donā€™t have the equipment to verify all entries, so we have to trust user entries.

You can search on the table and a complete search function is implemented in the menu bar.

Regards lorglas

2 Likes

Lenovo T440s and m710q works ok for me.

No, EFI handles BT mouse and keyboard but it doesnā€™t hand them over to the OS. This happens especially on iMacs because they donā€™t have integrated trackpad or keyboard. The user con control the computer before the kernel is loaded (for example to choose the boot volume).
Once the kernel is booted a driver must be available for such devices.

Just to give a concrete example, on a MacBook Retina 12ā€ with SPI keyboard and trackpad I can use the keyboard up to the Haiku boot menu and using rEFInd only. Past that point Haiku kernel takes control and they become unresponsive.

I bought some pre used thin clients, HP T520, these work nicely with Haiku r1b4.
No wifi fitted as standard, but USB stick works for internet OK.

Mine are 1.2GHz dual core, 4GB DDR3L ram, 16GB M2 SSD.

I think my comment was badly worded. The list has taken a lot of work, and is very useful. However, it would be better if it was sorted.
Thinkpads, incidentally, are regarded as very compatible with Linux, and there is an excellent website called (ThinkWiki) which gives you a complete overview and also explains what can be upgraded - which means you can buy a low-specā€™d machine and then make it into something more impressive.
Whether working well with Linux means that a PC will therefore work well with Haiku, I donā€™t know, but it does look that way.
The last fully customisable Thinkpads were the 30 series (X230, T430, T530, W530, etc), and they are what I would recommend as a good cheap Haiku machine.

1 Like

Actually, we make sure that there are no duplicate entries for complete systems, but the user information can mean that these are named differently, so there can be duplicate entries here. Even if a component is different in the course of a series, the device should and will be listed twice.

In the case of individual hardware information, there are also duplicate entries if it works with one haiku version and not or no longer with another. This should help the developers to search for errors.

The list is therefore not only for interested people who want to install haiku, it is also intended as a help for bug reports.

Hello Sebrof,

I can sort the list by manufactor from a-z.

Regards lorglas

That would be great, but if you can also sort it by model within manufacturer that would be greater still.

Then there would be less need for the search function.

Thinkpads, of course, were first made by IBM, and then by Lenovo. With some models there was an overlap (like the T42), but itā€™s probably not very important because those are now so old that not many people would want to use them. I am an exception to that rule (one of my T42s is a music server), but there canā€™t be many left in daily use.

x230 works great. Iā€™ve upgraded mine to an x330 quad core and it still works well in haiku, though on x330 you have to use the vesa driver as the intel driver doesnā€™t pick up the LCD connected via eDP (Intel works fine on x230 though). The only things that donā€™t work are things that in general donā€™t work on haiku such as bluetooth.

Sorting is implemented

3 Likes

Historically, we could add ā€˜bestā€™ laptops to help with BeOS 5.0.3 versus Haiku R1B4:

Haiku R1B4 x64:

• Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9
  • Lenovo ThinkPad X220
  • Lenovo ThinkPad T430

BeOS Pro Edition 5.0.3:

• Dell Inspiron 7500
  • Dell Inspiron 8000
  • IBM ThinkPad A20m
  • IBM ThinkPad A21p
  • IBM Thinkpad 380ed
  • IBM Thinkpad 380Z (2635-JGU)
  • IBM Thinkpad 570
  • IBM ThinkPad 600E
5 Likes

Frizbe :nerd_face:

Thatā€™s a great improvement. Thank you.

Isnā€™t Beā€™s OS so outdated by now that itā€™s still worth talking about? Honestly, no one can run Beā€™s OS with modern hardware anymore. We now have haiku and thatā€™s a good thing.

2 Likes

BeOS is still relevant to the spirit of Haiku and its current and future development.

2 Likes