BeOS implementation of BlueSCSI toolbox

Good news from BlueSCSI:

7 Likes

This is interesting; my PPC machine has an early IDE controller that only does PIO mode, but has SCSI for the CD and external ports so might be faster off that.

2 Likes

Nice ā€¦ I might have a shot at getting my dev bebox back off the ground its connor drive failed I am pretty sure. And I just bought 2 bluescsisā€¦ it would be neat to have the scsi internet adapter working also I wonder how hard that would be to port to BeOS.

2 Likes

That would also be quite useful but probably a very complicated exercise

BeOS/PPC compatible NICs are getting hard to find, at least in areas it makes sense for me to buy from (EU) - my experience of 100mbit DEC cards is that they ā€˜workā€™ but can only handle very small packets.

I have a ā€œretro wlanā€ - its own subnet, isolated, limited to 3mbit internet access, WEP and MAC controls so it would take someone a few seconds rather than no seconds to get in; and most importantly turned off when I donā€™t want it - for if I want to have any of my old kit on wifi; so connecting another ancient Be system to it wouldnā€™t concern me any further security wise.

1 Like

Easing development is exactly why Iā€™m using it for storage now. I am the original owner, but never really did much with it back in the day.

The original Seagate drive it shipped with still works, but itā€™s loud by modern standards and not likely to keep working.

It was crazy straighforward to install BeOS onto the BlueSCSI drive, but it took me a while to remember what went where.

I started to explore the BlueSCSI tools API looking for ways to control which drive image it boots off of.

3 Likes