BeOS/Haiku historic timeline of OS's RAM use?

I believe that’s it. @waddlesplash explained it to me last year.

From previous tests:

1. 256MB RAM minimum to boot.
  2. Installer works with 384 -> 512 MB RAM.
  3. 288 MB RAM usage after boot (hrev54215 x86).

Power user: 64GB-128GB RAM support ?

1 Like

Yes. Work with 128Mb. You need disable some servers (packagefs, bluetooth as example) and unpack all hpkg, but this tweak is not popular :slight_smile:

Haiku32_hakilo_serversdisabled

9 Likes

That sounds like it should not be on the GSoC list… at all, and even if there were a mentor its sounds likely to fail due to the complexity.

I’ve booted Haiku with 256GB ram… that said the system doesn’t really support Haiku as it is dual socket and I haven’t’ had a chance to retest lately. There is a ticket tracking that specific system as it exhibits issues that are fairly general to other dual socket systems.

In theory you might even get Haiku to Boot on an EPYC system without any ram at all… entirely in cache. The BIOS might not be able to do that but you can do such things in coreboot systems.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Some aspects of packagefs

Anyway back on topic BeOS acutally had a problem where you could not have more than 32MB of shared libraries loaded. So… even if you had a lot of ram you couldn’t use it effectively.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Some aspects of packagefs

I really have to say I don’t see a need for such low minimum RAM requirements (256MB or even 128MB). I’m all for a lean and optimized operating system but who uses machines with less than 1GB for any modern tasks. And Haiku is meant to be a modern operation system, right? I have several “old” machines (from before 2010) which I have run Haiku on, and none of them has less than 1 GB of memory.

So, please don’t get me wrong: If we can get memory requirements down by optimizing, that’s great. But I don’t think we should actually remove functionality (e.g. the packaging system) to achieve that goal.

2 Likes

It will not be remove, but a person who want or need to use in that way can try that recipe, and then will not have problems to install on very old hardware.

2 Likes

Ref: https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/release-notes/

MINIMUM (32-bit)

• Memory: 256MB RAM :face_with_monocle:

Known minimum usage tested:

• Memory: 84MB RAM (tonestone57) :face_with_monocle:

Known maximum usage tested:

• Memory: 256GB RAM (cb88) :face_with_monocle:

NOTE:FreeBSD 11.1+ requires 96 MB RAM minimum for boot/install for comparisons…

2 Likes

Note that 256GB was just boot up and it “worked” I didn’t try to use that memory so it is quite possible it could just break at some point eg once allocating memory across from a different numa node etc… though that seems unlikely.

1 Like

BeBox was limited to 1GB RAM (w/ 16MB Flash ROM). The overall addressable mapping was around 1.5GB RAM. On this PPC hardware, users were recommended 512MB RAM with specific graphics cards Power use: 768MB RAM - but users mentioned unstability and/or boot issues with additional or specific hardware setups.So, I’d suggest just staying with 16 MB - 768MB RAM (max.). Some Macs provided around 1.5GB RAM versus the BeBox limitation, but I remember there was some issues…

Most hardware vendors sold 512MB RAM configs - so this is the most relative versus 768MB RAM configs…

I believe this limitation is probably just due to BeOS itself as it mapped the entire physical RAM into the kernel space (just like Linux did back then, and we did for a while too). There were tips to mitigate this (like forcing the size of the disk cache in the kernel settings), and on x86 a patched bootloader to clip the reported RAM.

So true lol I think it’s because today software use way more than back then. So using a lightweight operating system matters now.

1 Like

Was there any significant change in RAM use for the latest release?

I might try to map key info from here against this timeline if that would be useful to anyone but me :slight_smile: File:BeOS family.svg - Wikimedia Commons

I don’t think there was a significant change, no. Atleast in our release notes there has been no change in requirements. :slight_smile:

beta3: R1/beta3 – Release Notes | Haiku Project

beta4: R1/beta4 – Release Notes | Haiku Project

1 Like

I managed to compile some fairly large - for BeOS - programmes on a PPC box with 24MB RAM - 8MB soldered and 16MB added. It now has 136MB, the max it can take, which is transformative for performance. As is an SSD!

32MB was a recommendation rather than required, as we see up-thread with that 16MB boot.

That’s fun to see people caring about how much the system eat while in same time they request apps that are eating megabytes of memory by dozens, starting by browsers…

1 Like

Replying to an almost 3 years old post… anyway…

I ran BeOS R5 PE on an AMD-K5-100 MHz, 16 MB of RAM. with a Trident 9440 PCI video card that was not VESA 2.0 compatible, thus… only having black and white graphics on BeOS… UNTIL… I’ve installed Scitech’s UniVBE TSR in DOS, and then called loadbeos.com… glorious R5 PE in 16 bits colors!!!

(sorry if this was covered already… still reading old posts).

Edit: this was in late 2000. That’s how I got hooked into BeOS. Gogo-no-coda kicking the crap out of any mp3 cli encode I had for DOS? YES, PLEASE! :slight_smile:

1 Like