BeOS as server OS?

How do people think BeOS/Haiku would fare as a server OS? I saw an Apache/PHP/SQL package on BeBits, but that’s probably the only server software I’ve seen for BeOS.

I think using the attribute support in the filesystem would be a very cool, flexible way to implement servers. For example, with a web page, you have a file that has attributes for its title, author, posting date, etc., and the contents of the file are the main HTML parts. The server could dynamically generate the pages based off HTML templates.

Perhaps this filesystem method isn’t as flexible as a CMS backed by MySQL or whatever serious websites run, though. :slight_smile:

What do you think? :slight_smile:
Scintill

Funnily enough, I posted this self same topic maybe a week ago.

http://haiku-os.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=413

General consensus (from one party) was that BeOS would be OK for a light load, but being tuned for desktop use would mean that it would not be as favourable for a server platform as a *NIX.

>I think using the attribute support in the filesystem would be a
>very cool, flexible way to implement servers. For example, with
>a web page, you have a file that has attributes for its title,
>author, posting date, etc., and the contents of the file are the
>main HTML parts. The server could dynamically generate the
>pages based off HTML templates.

Scot Hacker’s TrackerBase

http://www.bebits.com/app/108

togs_01, that is funny that you posted on the same thing. Guess I should have checked previous posts. :slight_smile:

And thanks, asedin, for the link to TrackerBase.

I’ve been considering converting my personal server [EDIT: website, SMTP and IMAP over SSL, webmail] from Linux to BeOS. I don’t know if I want to, because I only really have one free system, can’t afford another, and it could be as much as two weeks of downtime. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, if it’s worth posting to BeBits, I have “ported” (read: hacked out the sockets and groups syscalls that BeOS doesn’t have) djbdns to BeOS. It probably needs more proper work to make sure it’s still secure, etc., though.

Scintill

Unless BeOS has some excellent tools for managing those services on your server that differ from those in the Linux world (ie not CLI), there’s probably not much point, especially from the downtime point of view. I would say if you’ve got it working, don’t break it. :stuck_out_tongue: