BeOS Archeo Project - Saving old beos apps sources

I would like to introduce my small project called BeOS Archeo Project in wich im trying to preserve old apps with never released sources for Haiku community. If anyone interested in this project feel free to contact me. The more people will be involved more apps with never released sources we could preserve for haiku future…

Here’s one of project i preserved with sources yesterday:

[Re-Copy fro HaikuWare]

Another App preserved with sources, and even more… With the version never released to the public. Ladies and gentleman. Here’s Space Monitor v1.4b, which is higher version than officially released to BeBts [v1.3].

Thanks to original App Author, Mr. Thomas Thiriez, im not only granted sources for original 1.3 bebits version but for whole branch even with v1.4b version. Of course Space Monitor works like a charm on haiku without any changes or recompilations.

Very good idea. I’ve seen several apps on BeBits or Haikuware without any available sources, mainly because the original home pages no longer exist. Case in point - very cool tracker add-on EasyConverter [ BB | HW ]

I have saved BeOS software since 4.5 and some from before. It is a shame if we loose any of these programs. Many are very clever, task specific, and leverage the power / ideology of BeOS. I will monitor this thread to see which programs come up and I will scan my archives. One old PIII 800 x2 Tyan 100 ‘Tiger’ system served as a server for the house which has many files. It is plagued now with heat ailments but I have been thinking about moving those HD’s to another setup…

I also think it is a good idea.

However, too many old BeOS programs said they would release the source code and then never did. This is a shame as a good percentage of these programs would probably recompile in Haiku with just a little work.

Good Luck contacting the authors of said programs and getting the code. If you do then you will be doing a great service for the Haiku community.

PS. How do we help?

Waaait a minute… This sounds incredibly similar to PulkoMandy’s BeOS application / source code archive project:

http://pulkomandy.lexinfo.fr/~beosarchive/index.pl

Would it be more worth your time to contribute to that website instead? I don’t see Re-Copy listed there… :wink:

I know that Space Monitor 1.3 works but is a little wonky in Haiku. Should I expect 1.4 to become available on Haikuware?

I’ve contacted with PulkoMandy, and we chat a little. The sources will go to his archive, but i think that kind archive should be hosted here on haiku-os.org to expose applications and help people in development. In my case: i spend 1/2 of my day just to gather the information and… just to know someone else done similiar thing in the past… :/… If every source code would be hosted there on official haiku-os.org server everything would be quicker & easier…

BTW. Its a very good chance, that we will get VisualBe++ open sourced :smiley:

I’ve contacted with Mr Matthew Allen, who is the creator of excellent i.Hex / i.Mage / i.Ftp and very good known for BeOS users i.Scribe and ask if he will release sources for i.Scribe for Haiku or release a recompiled biniary for Haiku. This is what i get in the reply [btw i have permission to re-print it on boards]

I personally don’t have time to work on it. But if someone else brings the cross platform layer up to speed then I’ll certainly make a freeware build of Scribe available. 98% of the platform specific code in Scribe is actually the LGI library it uses:
http://www.memecode.com/lgi.php

That library is open source so anyone can check out the code and hack on it to get it building / running. They could test with one of the other LGI open source apps like i.Hex, i.Ftp or i.Mage.

At the moment I’m working on the GTK port of Lgi and it’s actually not too far off being beta. So I guess if there was a decent Gtk2 port on BeOS that would be one (kinda sucky) way of getting it running ASAP. But ideally a direct to system API port is going to be the best quality and speed wise.

I think I did try and get LGI to build on Haiku last year but it was too painful after a while. Can’t remember the exact issue, but a decent IDE/compiler/debugger and support libraries like Libjpeg, Libpng/Zlib, OpenSSL, iconv was hard to setup. Part of the issue was that I wasn’t going to dedicate a hardware install to it, just vmware player and it was a bit annoying using it in vmware. Something about the feel of the mouse wasn’t to my taste. The acceleration was either not there or too much. I do all my Linux stuff in a virtual box too, but it’s much more mature.

Regards

Matthew Allen

So maybe some of You , haiku porters / developers will try to build up LGE , then we will get another native excellent piece of software for haiku…

Download:
http://www.memecode.com/lgi.php

For anyone who dont remember how i.scribe looks like, heres the screen:

So it’s still closed-source then?

Yes… i think. i.Scripe is a InScribe [which is commercial product] with few functionalty reduced.

BTW.

Another 2 cases closed, but with sad ending for Us

OmnicronSoft [now o2interactive] just confirmed that sources for Personal Assistant, Software Wallet, EasyInstaller, NewsHound and many more… has been deleted many years ago.

and

Mr Marko Koschak, a creator of YGM - You Got Mail for BeOS just confirmed that he doesnt have sources for his apps.

Yes… i think. i.Scripe is a InScribe [which is commercial product] with few functionalty reduced.

BTW.

OmnicronSoft [now o2interactive] just confirmed that sources for Personal Assistant, Software Wallet, EasyInstaller, NewsHound and many more… has been deleted many years ago.

and

Mr Marko Koschak, a creator of YGM - You Got Mail for BeOS just confirmed that he doesnt have sources for his apps.

BTW.

and

BTW.

and

New update.
Mr Sean Graham and his two old BeOS sources