BeOS 5 PE software archive

[quote=damoklas]I know about “No Gravity”, you also can play it on BeOS r5.1 dano or Zeta (r6).
However, maybe someone has a complete version of the old game (for BeOS r4, r4.5, r5?), or maybe working data files from old Space Girl Windows version (if they work with the BeOS demo game binary).[/quote]

I think the data files are the same though right? I mean, they released the data as well as the source code. So it should be possible to reproduce ones that work with space girl, even if you had to rebuild it on a BeOS machine?

[quote=Munchausen][quote=damoklas]I know about “No Gravity”, you also can play it on BeOS r5.1 dano or Zeta (r6).
However, maybe someone has a complete version of the old game (for BeOS r4, r4.5, r5?), or maybe working data files from old Space Girl Windows version (if they work with the BeOS demo game binary).[/quote]

I think the data files are the same though right? I mean, they released the data as well as the source code. So it should be possible to reproduce ones that work with space girl, even if you had to rebuild it on a BeOS machine?[/quote]

Data file is not the same, seems… Probably the easiest way (only way) to get a complete game for BeOS/Haiku is to recompile the source code on BeOS R5. Just how to do it? Who will do it?

Would anyone have a working BeOS5PEMaxEditionV4b1.zip?

Hello damoklas,

yes, it could be me. Even BeOS5PEMaxEditionV4b2.zip IIRC.
Gimme a day or two or next weekend, i’ll take a look. (My main BeOS files archive is down)

BUT: i’m not really sure if it’s legal to share such files… Back in 2002 up to Zeta arises there has been always heavy discussions about legality of such ‘distributions’…

I am not sure…

Well let’s see. Zeta makes money from illegally obtained and used source code. BeOS Max provides updates for freely distributed product, what the publisher threw it into the trash (together with it users). What’s more “illegal”?
Yet, let us remember, as Microsoft has conquered the world through distributed pirated software. Which left no chance for competitors such as BeOS. Piracy occurs anywhere where there is a monopoly and there is no free market.
Sometimes, what is illegal is not a crime, sometimes what is legal is a crime.

The company that released No Gravity is gone. It would be a tragedy not to have such a great game on Haiku. It was free to begin with so my opinion is that we should do whatever we can to get it running on Haiku.

Munchausen, do you have the source available? I can take a look.

Munchausen, do you have the source available? I can take a look.

Hi could you add this stuff to the archive?

http://f3c.com/software/
http://www.be-logos.org/

it would be really sad if this got lost :slight_smile:

Thank you.
Archive updated.
A link can not be downloaded Xerces.
Fortunately, in my archive is already Xerces-C-src_1_2_0a-beos.tgz (Xerces-C-src-1.2.0-beos.tgz). In my archive is not Xerces-C_1_2_0a-beos.tgz.
But in the archive is Xerces-c-bin-2.6.0-x86-BeOS.tar.gz (no src!) and Xerces-1.0-x86.tar.gz (no src!).

Last updated archive, v4,

here listings and virtual archive:
http://www.filedropper.com/b5sw4

almost 10 GB and 6976 files

Damaged or lost files (sometimes not clear what is inside):

bBeMines1.0b2.zip
BeVexed1.2.zip
DGen-SDL_1.23.zip
EasyMounter-0.7-src.zip
MenuKeyFilter-0.1-src.zip
MonkeysAudioSuite70Src.zip
MouStick_1.0.zip
SDL-games-pack-I.zip
SDL-games-pack-III.zip
SDL-games-pack-IV.zip
SETiBe_v0.0.2.zip
SG1_Game_Only.zip
SIDPlayer-4.4.tar.gz
ShellMount.zip
ShellPage-BeOS-i386-V0.01.tar.gz
ShowPeople-1.3.zip
XV-3.10A.gz.zip
Xerces-C_1_2_0a-beos.tgz
eos1234_vbr_mp3.zip
beosii-0.30.tar.gz
bewalk.zip
daphne.zip
dc1000-0.4.tar.gz
fceu-0.961.x86.pkg.zip
fware_code.pkg
guile-1.3.4.zip
i.scribe-PL.zip
ixusdiag.zip
jit-0.8.21.tar.gz.zip
libbdcp_digita.pkg.zip
phamicom-20030620.a.x86.pkg.zip
povray350a.pkg.zip
uae-0.8.20.2-mmu.diff.gz.zip
uae-speedup-patch.diff.gz.zip
uips.zip
xerces-c-bin-2.6.0-beos-src.zip

part_broken_archives (here is a list of files visible. The archives can be extracted with errors):
|–BRed.zip
|–Balls-v1.1.zip
|–ColorMap-1.0.zip
|–EXILIUMBEOS-3.zip
|–FallacyofDawn.zip
|–HTTPGet2.zip
|–Iconography10b0.DR8.zip
|–SpaceSwitcherII.zip
|–TBMSearch.zip
|–TreeList_B.zip
|–appbar01.zip
|–bebench06.zip
|–bempau0.11.zip
|–etkxx-0.3.2-rc1.tar.bz2
|–methods-add-ons1.1.zip
|–nameSID_r1.zip
|–pbar_workspace0.9.zip
`–random.zip

Just thought I’d mention No Gravity (mentioned in earlier posts) is available on SourceForge with binaries for BeOS and Windows… Otherwise, there seems to be a version that runs on iOS (i.e. iPhone/iPad) that I found in the App Store. As for the collaborative archive works, the effort is impressively cool and I hope it will grow and advance the whole community.

I would like to particularly note that game (on SourceForge) ‘No Gravity’ BeOS version is intended exclusively for unofficial and experimental BeOS 5.1 (exp/dano) version, as well as it works on the Zeta OS, which is based on the BeOS 5.1 dano version. This version can not run on Haiku-OS, or BeOS R5.

What is the latest BeOS software does not work on Haiku-OS? Thus, the older version to be added to the archive, if it works. Older soundplay already added.

I just recompiled it with Haiku,and it works. Of course i got no BeIDE, so it doesn’t use the BeOS sources, just the platform-independent things.

Here is, how i did:

go into the linux folder,
setarch x86
./bootstrap
./configure --enable-sound=sdl_mixer --disable-opengl

Open the generated Makefile, and search this line:
LIBS = -lvorbis -logg -lSDL_mixer -lSDL
and add -lz to this line.
make

And that was all. Of course, it would be better, to get the BeOS version to be built, because the mouse control is full of bugs in SDL.
Don’t forget to install an mesa render in Haiku Depot, and the Game Data: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nogravity/files/Game%20data%20(requires%20binaries)/2.0/

Bye!

As I said above, I made a quick attempt to port this and it uses part of the game kit that has not been implemented on haiku. Specifically, it uses the BDirectGLWindow API that was introduced with R5.1. You can probably rewrite it to use the older API. Or implement the newer API on haiku. There is info on this newsletter page (“The World of OpenGL after BeOS R5”) Be Newsletters - Volume 5: 2000

[quote=Munchausen]

As I said above, I made a quick attempt to port this and it uses part of the game kit that has not been implemented on haiku. Specifically, it uses the BDirectGLWindow API that was introduced with R5.1. You can probably rewrite it to use the older API. Or implement the newer API on haiku. There is info on this newsletter page (“The World of OpenGL after BeOS R5”) https://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/benewsletter/Issue5-13.html[/quote]

What Haiku OS developers plans in this regard?
What are the options?

Personally, I think that Haiku-OS needs to support new and old BeOS OpenGL, moreover, in addition, and something new, and more adapted to the present day.
Or.
Perhaps, the new OpenGL BeOS could be slightly expanded and adapted better to this day?
Perhaps the old BeOS OpenGL unnecessary for Haiku-OS?
Clearly one. Haiku OS requires OpenGL and Game Kit.

OpenGL is available on Haiku since 2010. Rendering is done in software using Gallium.

In my understanding, gallium works directly with hardware and haiku necessary software tools (like BeOS BDirectGLWindow, BGLView API or old 3d kit) to access the gallium driver layer.

[quote=damoklas]Last updated archive, v4,

here listings and virtual archive:
http://www.filedropper.com/b5sw4
[/quote]
Every time I click on that link, I am redirected to www.filedropper.com (generic start page).
Could you not simply share this on torrent? That way, the bandwidth would be theoretically unlimited, and it actually works.