I’m going spare trying to find a decent basic audio editing tool for Haiku that works.
What I need is really basic -
- Ability to load audio file (mp3 and other standard formats) and view waveform (ability to zoom a desirable bonus)
- Ability to trim / crop audio from source file
- Ability to save file as mp3 (Bonus - other formats that Haiku handles, eg ogg, wav)
- Bonus: ability to fade audio in and out
- Bonus: other adjustments
I’m not sure if the software I have tried is out of date, just crappy (unlikely for some, given the amount of time it has been around) or there is a bug in post R1B3 with something to do with Haiku’s media encoding system, but everything I have tried has issues (maybe someone with these tools installed could try and let me know if they are having issues too???)
- KWave is feature-rich & ideal, but throws an error on save / save as (also corrupts original file if “save” selected; apparently it uses ‘lame’ for encoding mp3s; this tests out as “ok” when I check the settings)
- BeAE is ok, if a little flaky on editing, but throws a “can’t overwite file” both on ‘save’ and ‘save as’. If you change the file name, it writes a 0 byte file then throws the error
- Clockwerk is really for video and lacks the features I want. It also has severe audio playback issues (tho I’m not sure if this is a new problem). It throws a “general system fault” after creating a 0 byte file when I try to export an MP3 as well, and it appers to use the Haiku media/codec system like BeAE.
- Medo is new and under development, but came the closest to working. It is video centric, but gets the job done, as it displays waveforms and allows clip splitting and deletion. It uses ffmpeg instead of Haiku media codecs and successfully outputs a file (the only problem is it appears to introduce noise to the output file, which I have not yet been aboe to resolve with different encodings, bitrates and other adjustments).
NB - I am using Open Sound for my audio drivers, as the built in HDA drivers do not work on this AMD-based machine. Presently on hrev55271.
If others experience the same issues, I will log a bug with dev.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help / confirm similar issues / etc