ArtPaint Release

I’m happy to announce that ArtPaint 2.7 has been released today!

As always it has a number of bug fixes and new features, including a new Norwegian translation thanks to @johan, and the ES-419 translation should now work as well.

The layer blend modes now have color-based blends Hue, Saturation, Luminosity, and Color, similar to what you see in photoshop, Gimp, Krita, etc.

The Color palette was revamped a bit so you can name color sets and navigate around within the palettes using the arrow keys.

Ellipses can now be rotated, and both Ellipse and Rectangle have width sliders now (though not dynamic width like the straight line tool yet):

04

…and one of the cooler features IMO is that selections can have alpha - if you draw an airbrush stroke and choose “Select all non-transparent” the edges of the selection will keep the smooth airbrush edges and so you can do stuff like this easily simply by drawing a gradient over the selection:

03

Also thanks to @Vidrep who regularly runs clang static analysis on the code and has helped with ArtPaint stability by identifying potential memory leaks and bad behavior!

There are more fixes and updates that you can see as always in the changelog. Big thanks to @humdinger for testing everything, providing feedback, and pushing out the release!!

But, this is a bittersweet post:

Unfortunately, I will be not be able to continue ArtPaint development at this time. I had big plans for this little tool and I have really loved working on it - and I hope someday to return - but for now I cannot.

If anyone is looking to get involved in ArtPaint development I’d be happy to explain how any of it works (or doesn’t work). I’d encourage anyone to give it a whirl if you want to get into Haiku app development; I didn’t know ANYTHING about it when I decided to see if I could get it working again back in 2022. I just took a look while waiting on code reviews for a Haiku change, and it’s been a fun learning journey ever since.

Anyway I hope you enjoy v2.7 as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it, and I hope I didn’t introduce any nasty bugs that I might not be able to fix! :smiley:

Cheers,
Dale

30 Likes