ArsTechnica Review of R1/Beta2

I saw that ticket. What is the Quick tour “app” that is mentioned?
I assume there is a goal to replace the HTML with an app?

Nah, “app” was refering to the old, hand-crafted HTML Quick Tour, that was available as a HPKG package from HaikuDepot, I think.

It’s amazing how far you guys have brought this from the original proof of concept! I wonder if there could be an intro animation in R1 maybe? :slight_smile:

1 Like

A Web+ link to a YouTube video perhaps :wink:

Joking aside, I love Web+. The problem with Quick Tours and User Guides is that no one reads them. Only when people are stuck do they Google a solution. A how-do-I series of Articles may be better than a manual. Think Quora like or Stack Overlow.

Well, as I always claimed, I don’t agree that the “general purpose” (wannabe) orientation was/is the right path.

BeOS was a multimedia-oriented OS and nowdays an efficient, reliable and creators-focused OS is still needed.

So - to me - the main Haiku issue is the absence of a so-called “killer app” (or, in other words to be clear, a “killer goal”).

Anyway I always support alternatives.

1 Like

Playing/recording audio and video is nothing special nowadays. Any modern desktop/mobile OS can do it fine.

2 Likes

Of course, but we (= creators) STILL need a dedicated OS…

Why?

What would you want to do to Haiku to make it dedicated as opposed to general purpose?

And can this not be just a matter of (reversible) configuration?

Personally, I am one of those that wants a GP OS, free from the constant nonsense from Windows, and more focussed than Linux.

5 Likes

Easy to use it is, and very stable in its design now it needs more love to the apps.
They should work hand in hand together like most native BeOs apps did, with drag and drop for example.

Thank you, but this doesn’t appear to answer the question. “More love to the apps” doesn’t have anything to do with “a dedicated OS”.

Just for reference I attach Be’s concept of multimedia OS: Technical White Paper: The Media OS.

2 Likes

Oh, well, for example devs’ work should be more focused on porting/implementing useful/dedicated drivers/libraries…

I can understand you, but - as you probably know - “reinventing the wheel” is not a productive approach.

I don’t think Haiku will ever be “successful” as a general purpose OS…

I believe that Defining the Media OS from that document still valid:

The foundation of a true Media OS must be built with real-time media and communications in mind from the start. It must make maximum use of the underlying hardware, and free hardware manufacturers to build ever more powerful, and more economical, systems. The Media OS needs to be built with the high-bandwidth needs of media in mind, from storage to I/O throughput to graphics.

In addition to a solid, media-oriented foundation, a Media OS must also provide application services which allow developers to create powerful applications that deliver on the advantages of the underlying foundation, to do so quickly, and to do so efficiently - with a minimum of reinventing the wheel.

“I can understand you, but - as you probably know - “reinventing the wheel” is not a productive approach.”

And writing nonsense isn’t very productive either.

Haiku was “invented” 25 years ago, or more - as BeOS. What is happening now is a refining and updating process. It’s already usable as a general purpose OS, except that Web+ needs a bit more work. Whether it will ever be “successful” will depend on how you define that very vague word.

For me, even now, I find the “user experience” to be infinitely preferable to both Windows and Linux. It’s a bit like driving an old Jaguar. Fast, smooth, comfortable, and elegant, though lacking some of the gadgets on more modern cars.

6 Likes

Would’ve ‘liked’, if you resisted the urge to open with that first “nonsense” sentence… ヅ

2 Likes

Fair comment, but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. This chap is acting rather like a troll.

Well you do need to have a working video site so you learn how to do things in Haiku :slight_smile:
However, I stop short in demanding youtube be supported. Rather, my main complaint is that when youtube causes web+ to fail, it locks up the whole system and a reboot is required. If it failed in such a way that only the browser needs to be restarted, Haiku could be my daily non-work driver.

That would be enough for me because in my experience it normally takes an hour or so for youtube to crash. So intermittant application crashes is acceptible but whole system lockups is not.

Try Qmplay2 for watching Video and listen to Radio streams.
Nice program and nice to use.

checking it out and see. So far so good but it looks like it’s supposed to search youtube. if so, that doesn’t seem to work.

There will be update available for the youtube search function soon, since this problem is known. It is a yutube problem since they switch sometimes their links to the database. So yes this function is not working atm.

QMP2 didn’t fair much better. Locked up after about 15 minutes of playing a youtube video. It wasn’t as hard a lockup as when web+ crashes but it did make it so most mouse and keyboard input had no effect so I had to reboot anyway.