Are you an Apple fan?

Seriously, why do we need the Off-Topic category in the first place? For all things not related to Haiku there is … well … the rest of the internet.
Apologies for being recursively off-topic :wink:

2 Likes

Linux in the context of this statement - is a misnomer. Kernel vs. OS.

Windows does have a ‘style guide’ like macOS and AmigaOS. As for Linux, this gets more into the chosen GUI and/or using Tango-like desktop guidelines.

Apple is built on its computer legacy, brand, and marketing. Users invested in Apple-based software/hardware and want to maintain usage. Most users like to stick with accustomed products. Kinda like belonging to a ‘kool kids klub’ or ‘special interest group’ for some people. Just a choice. Red/Blue/Independent/etc.

Yet, some people kick their cans (i.e. complain) when offered a Apple Mac Mini for $600 USD versus a Amiga X5000 for >$2,500 USD. Toss in an iPhone and Airpods. Now you’re cooking with gas… (i.e. evolution → advancement → gone are your days of chopping for firewood or collecting tree limbs to light a fire with matches (or rubbing sticks together).

Just a choice or brand loyalty.

The answer: Mainly, ‘the love’ is due to the packaged support of hardware, OS, included applications, and technical support/service.

Customers/Businesses/Users/Clients pay for the packaged deal - and the brand as well.

I like Apple products… but it is not the end game for me… I like innovators like Haiku…

1 Like

I’ve been a Mac-user since 1992 and even though i’ve had many periods of wanting to switch, i’m still there. As an UX Designer i’ve actually decided not to discuss UX with developers or admins anymore, but i agree with one of the previous speakers: Apple pays attention to details, has the most professional aesthetics and a highly integrated solution – this integration may also be a cage on the other hand, i’ll gladly admit that.
As of today i’m still with a Mac on the road because i don’t want to solder audio drivers for my Linux ThinkPad every month and if Windows would be the last operating system on earth, i rather would go back to paper and pen. Apple isn’t a company i want to be a fan of, but i don’t see my Mac as a lifestyle or philosophy either, just as a tool that fits my needs.

3 Likes

No.

I personally feel MacOS uncomfortable because of bad-designed dock bar instead of taskbar/deskbar. It have wastefully big icons, no captions, no ability to list windows (not applications), stupid animations, no proper windows minimize support.

I have been a user of apple since 2003 or so. I have been an evangelist in my early days, and would struggle with a Microsoft system now, but in recent years I have been less impressed by apple as a business.

My main concern relates to their foot-dragging over right to repair and WEEE reduction laws in liberal democracies, which is mirrored by their bending over backwards to accommodate surveillance in dictatorships. Not a good look for a firm that wants to be seen as on the side of progress and enlightenment. Unfortunately I have not managed to wean myself off their systems yet, which is a long term project I feel I have no choice to embark upon.

When I used to use MacOS 10.6, I’d create shortcuts to applications and put them in stacks to allow topical sorting of icons. This let the icons shrink to one folder per stack and acted like having multiple application menus on other systems.

I used to be an Apple fan. I picked up my first Mac in 2003 and Mac OS X became my favourite OS almost immediately. Unfortunately the quality has dropped in recent years, many things have been dumbed down (e.g. hiding “Save As” behind the Option key) and Apple seems to ignore bug reports until they affect enough people to crop up on social media.

I’m not a Haiku user per se (in fact, this is my first post here, although I’ve been lurking since beta 4) but I’ve looked at it a few times over the years. I tried the BeOS R3 demo back in ~1998, and also installed the free version of R5 when it became available, but it was never my primary OS. I liked the idea of it, but ultimately went to OS X.

My current Mac probably has 3+ years of life left in it before it needs to be replaced. What will I replace it with? I’d love to say Haiku, and it’ll be interesting to see where the OS is at that point. Unless Apple has an about-turn, I don’t expect to buy another Mac.

3 Likes

I like the Mac OS (though recent versions less so). I do not like latter-day Apple hardware. Thus, I try to hackintosh from time to time.

1 Like

I generally like macOS, but not iOS, and I’ve questioned Apple’s choices over the past 10ish years in the Mac and iPhone/iPad hardware departments. In Macs, first it was removing the built-in DVD drive, then it was removing all I/O ports besides USB-C, then it was soldering everything to the mainboard, including RAM and storage… all of that is part of why the newest Mac I’ve ever owned is a 2012 MacBook Pro. These are just a few of the design choices they’ve made that I’m not enthusiastic about, and there are certain choices that I’m surprised there wasn’t more backlash about.

In the mobile-device department, I’ve only tried to use iOS a few times over the years, and I’ve hated it every time. Everything is locked down to a degree that seems too extreme. For example, you can only install apps from the Apple App Store, and to get certain features to work, you have to “jailbreak” the device.

TL;DR: I’m only a “fan” of Apple when it comes to macOS, particularly older versions. Everything else seems to have mostly gone downhill over the past decade or so.

4 Likes

I started on Amiga’s - my first love. Went to Win 3.11 (yuck, what a shock after the AmigaOS). Then Win 95 when it came out. (Again, a real mess after the AmigaOS - not to say that the AmigaOS didn’t have any problems).

Then I went into business solving people’s IT problems. After 11 years I had to stop doing that, it starts to drive you nuts… lol

Went straight to Linux (said to myself, learn it now, or you’ll find it too hard as you get older). Used different BSD’s, & a smattering of OS/X (owned a couple - still own one of the first Alu’ 24" big flat things - forget what they call them - had to put Linux on it to be able to run a modern web browser, as Apple stop supporting it many years ago - faster on Linux :slight_smile: not that I use that machine - iMac? - anyway).

Run Win7 & more recently Win11, both only for Steam games. Personally, I liked Win7 best of all of the Windows versions that I’ve used. I use Jonathon Potter’s (of the Amiga’s Directory Opus - “DOpus” fame) Opus on Win7 & had to buy a new version for Win11. It is a magnificent replacement for Explorer. Extremely configurable. Not perfect, but light years ahead of Explorer.

I run MX Linux on a daily driver & have MX on my Rpi4 - great torrent box, still really too under powered to me of much use for anything else - slow web browsing, but it works.

Preamble finished. :slight_smile:

I find OS/X incredibly boring & limited in what you can modify in the GUI (frustratingly so). It may have changed since last looked, but (from memory) you couldn’t enlarge the fonts in the GUI larger than 16pt fonts. I complained to Apple who told me to use the magnifier. I told them where to stick it!

I bought a program that was very configurable to replace the frustrating Finder (& more), it is called Path Finder. I highly recommend it, if it is still made for the current AppleOS, as it was a great improvement imho. You could set it dual pane & control just about everything about it. (Kind of like DOpus for Apple.)

Apple have rules for any software dev’s that make them use the same positions & keyboard shortcuts for their software. This is a good thing. It helps with the ease of use of their OS. I makes it so much easier for people to learn new software with their Apple machine.

I have always said, that when my brain deteriorates to the point where I can’t use Linux anymore, I’ll have to go to the Apple IT Retirement home, as it is generally so easy to use (providing you can actually see the fonts!).

I have hopes that Haiku will be the OS that usurps Apple in the ease of use stakes & puts a new safety net under all the old boomers falling with dementia type diseases.
Allowing them to still be able to do things that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to, for longer.

Apart from all of the other home users that want an uncomplicated, reliable way to surf the net & manage/create their media & other data. So I see Haiku as Apple’s major competitor in the ease of use stakes. I don’t think Apple buy Haiku when it becomes a costly threat to them? The way MS absorbs its competition…

Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

I never got to use OSX, and iPhones are not my cup of tea. Tried 2 times with the 3GS and much later a SE2, neither of them I liked. At the very core I’m a tinkerer so anything resembling a walled-garden – even if it’s paradise inside – is a BIG no-no from me.

In other thread about why people like Haiku I said I “like difference”… well, to expand even further on that: I use Android out of necessity, but I was a hardcore Windows Phone fan and used it until I couldn’t anymore (basically when WhatsApp abandoned ship). Still miss it dearly.

Well, I do have a G3 and a Performa tucked away, sooo… that makes me what, a rotten apple fan? :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I’ve neverl iked iOS, always used Windows Phone / Android for my smart devices. Have some iOS devices for work but just using them for short stints is enough to know I don’t want to use it daily.

I feel like macOS has suffered in recent years from bad design decisions, disappearing scrollbars being a good example. Loss of functionality purely for visual appeal. That said, the Apple chips are astonishing. I have an M2 Macbook Air for work, and it’s amazing. Battery lasts ages, performance is better than any machine I’ve ever owned, and despite having no fans it never gets beyond even slightly warm.

3 Likes

I have used Macs for 20 years now. My first one was a used 6100 and it ran 7.5.3, later 8.1. I also had PC’s along the way, but tended to just use whatever version of Windows was in vogue.I owned a BeBox and bought PIC PowerPC hardware to run BeOS on. I use BeOS exclusively on the Macs that ran it. SheepSharver to access a better browser under MacOS. Around 2005 I picked up some G3 hardware and was running Jaguar and Panther. 2007 I got a black polycarbonate Macbook (Core2duo/santa rosa) and that lasted 10 years (till the hardware failed as I left it in a room in my then flat that was damp and something fried.) My current Macbook Pro is a upgraded 2012 (16GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD drives) and I also have a 2012 Mac Mini I am in the process of maxing out. I run Monterey on all my computers now (OCLP) and will probably got to Ventura at some point. I would get a M2 based 14" if my current set up failed. I also have a G4 MacMini running Tiger and Leopard.

I’ve used probably every version of MacOS now. I’ve also used OpenStep 4.2 quite a bit. For me, I like MacOS way more than Windows 10. I use that at work as a software developer. Personally, MacOS is probably the best user experience out of all the commercial OS.

I use Haiku still. I use BeOS a lot still too, but only PowerPC. I think I will probably have a go at getting Haiku to boot on the MacMini. I think it should be okay.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree.

I got my first Mac in the late 90s when I was in high school (worked for a summer at a restaurant washing dishes). It was the original Bondi Blue G3 iMac. I remember getting me parents to drive me to the mall so I could get Mac OS 9 the day it came out! Later in college, I had a PowerBook G3 “Firewire”, and later the 12" & 17" PowerBook G4s. The 12" was my company computer, as I worked part-time for Apple as an “Apple Campus Representative” on campus. I helped with sales to faculty, students, parents, as well as had an Apple table at some campus events. And I do miss that 17" PBG4, what an awesome machine. Perfect for coding, and for watching movies.

I’m all-in on Apple products including iPhone, and a few of their services.

Otherwise, I’m all-in with open source. My Linux laptop dual-boots Pop_OS & Haiku, my desktop is a Raptor Talos II with dual Power9s, and I also have a FreeBSD laptop that I sometimes use. So there’s room to be both an Apple supporter/customer, and open source developer, aficionado, and user.

Yes I love Apple. I have a MacBook Pro 2019, iPhone SE 2 and iPad 9.