Are the Older Printed Be Programming Books Useful?

I really hate html documentation. Mostly because it requires a web browser (I hate web browsers). So I’m thinking of getting the O’Reilly (Red & White) book “Programming the Be Operating System” 1999, and also both of the Red, White and Blue books: “Be Developers Guide” 1997, and “Be Advanced Topics” 1998, also from O’Reilly.

Are these useful for getting up to speed writing application software for Haiku? I figure the red & white one probably is since there’s an online copy of it on the Haiku website. But I noticed that the RW&B books are for the R3.1 release of BeOS. Would they still be useful for Haiku?

No. Haiku’s Be Book revisions are updated in key areas and best for recent Haiku R1 development.

The programming book is still useful. The UI style guide, icon guide, info from DarkWyrm, Haiku wiki, and HaikuArchives/Haiku ports code/patches are far more informative.

Note: The old Y199x dev books are pre-R5.0 BeOS. Use the Haiku Book. Use the printed Be dev books for legacy historical development purposes, API calls, and BeBox hardware info.

Is the haiku dev book by jon yoder only pdf or is it available as printed book too?

Darkwyrm’s book here, note though that it is even nearly 10 years old probably due for some additions:

1 Like

But newer then the old be os one :wink:

If one wants to buy Learning to Program with Haiku in physical form, please consider buying it from lulu.com: http://www.lulu.com/shop/jon-yoder/learning-to-program-with-haiku/paperback/product-11914307.html
1 it might be cheaper
2 Jon will get more revenue share than from Amazon

1 Like

Well it’s more expensive on lulu, even though I think they are printing the ones on Amazon. Both are $25 but the Amazon one includes shipping.

It’s 19 EUR for me which is less than 25 USD. However, delivery & VAT raises the price to 25 EUR which indeed makes it more expansive. Still if you want to thank Jon for his hard work on the books you better use this option. Also some boycott Amazon so there is another solution just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like