Are Haiku system sounds being developed in prep for the R1 release?

I’ve always thought this would make a decent startup sound, though it probably wouldn’t be legal to put it into Haiku. Perhaps it could serve as a starting point for creativity.

[quote=Paianni]I’ve always thought this would make a decent startup sound, though it probably wouldn’t be legal to put it into Haiku. Perhaps it could serve as a starting point for creativity.

Nice and “spacey”! As you say, though, probably not a good idea to steal it… Maybe inspiration for some created originals.

I should hook up my microphone and do some natural percussion sounds. Though some of them may be best as voice, otherwise it takes too long to figure out what the meaning of the sound is (like the BeShare series).

[quote=agmsmith]

I should hook up my microphone and do some natural percussion sounds.[/quote]
You should…! (:-)) It would be nice to find some alternative to the usual chimes, fanfares, and glides that would also appeal.

[quote]
Though some of them may be best as voice, otherwise it takes too long to figure out what the meaning of the sound is (like the BeShare series).[/quote]
I agree. If you have a lot of sounds for a lot of different triggers, figuring out what the sound is actually representing could become difficult. Though I have to say, when I looked through the list of events in the Preferences I saw very few that I would really want to enable (aside from most of them not working anyway!).

If a voice is used, it might be nice if it was a bit “ethereal”. I’m thinking of maybe using some tonal filtering, with perhaps a ‘musical echo’. Just brainstorming…

How about kindly asking Access Co if they let Haiku include the BeOS sounds in its source?
At least the project would have something at hand, whether the bugs described above will be fixed or not.
There may also be more chance of consensus on the BeOS sounds than on newly composed sounds.
If not, maybe all soundsets can be provided as a separate downloads so each user can decide for him/herself.

I rolled with BeBeep.wav for some time as my system beep sound and found it quite irritating.
With hundreds of already freely licenced sound themes around, and people with the ability to make more, why bother with so much effort just to recover rights to two wav files?

4 Likes