Are Haiku system sounds being developed in prep for the R1 release?

Hey – don’t worry! [and read my last post again… (:-))] I have already posted the entire set (conveniently converted to MP3) on one of my websites. See the link above. (I also have it on BeShare if you prefer.)

[I’m a pack-rat… I have not only a BeOS 4.5 partition on my machine, but a 4.0 one as well! Mainly used as extra storage space these days, but they’re occasionally useful for historical forays like this.]

It would be nice if one could set a starup sound and have it actually play.

At this point, nothing plays.

[quote=bbjimmy]It would be nice if one could set a starup sound and have it actually play.

At this point, nothing plays.[/quote]

Hunh. It looks like the current Sounds Preferences is somewhat screwed up! It works fine in my pre-PM system, but I also had trouble with my latest hrev. In the end I got it working though.

One problem is that the sound selector field is not disabled when there is no trigger condition selected. If you select “Startup” or something, the selector becomes active, and you can select and play one of the files.

However, I see I also forgot to mimeset some of the mp3 files, and the new Preference objects to that (the old one didn’t, so I didn’t notice). You’ll have to mimeset them to get them to load.

If nothing else, though, you should be able to check out the sounds with MediaPlayer.

I can play the sound in the sound preferences applet, It just doesn’t play on startup.

Haiku has never played a startup sound.

[quote=bbjimmy]I can play the sound in the sound preferences applet, It just doesn’t play on startup.

Haiku has never played a startup sound.[/quote]
I got Haiku to play the BeStartup sound on startup for some nightlies until recently. It’s now when it can’t play (?)

[quote=ACGuy][quote=bbjimmy]I can play the sound in the sound preferences applet, It just doesn’t play on startup.

I got Haiku to play the BeStartup sound on startup for some nightlies until recently. It’s now when it can’t play (?)[/quote]
Seems people are having different experiences…! How recently has it stopped playing? My latest system is hrev 50180 from April 2, and it reliably plays the startup sound. I also run a system from a couple of years back (pre-PM) and that plays the startup, too.

Can we collect some reports? Are other folks able to have a startup sound? What about Beeps? Not sure which apps actually generate these (“system_beep” call, I think); I happen to have a command line program that beeps on error, and I’m hearing that.

[quote=michel]
Well, before Haiku was an OS it was a form of Japanese poetry so I would suggest something vaguely oriental…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Koto_performance.ogg[/quote]

I have a friend who plays shamisen, I could ask him but I wouldn’t know quite what to ask for.

[quote=Pete][quote=ACGuy][quote=bbjimmy]I can play the sound in the sound preferences applet, It just doesn’t play on startup.

I got Haiku to play the BeStartup sound on startup for some nightlies until recently. It’s now when it can’t play (?)[/quote]
Seems people are having different experiences…! How recently has it stopped playing? My latest system is hrev 50180 from April 2, and it reliably plays the startup sound. I also run a system from a couple of years back (pre-PM) and that plays the startup, too.

Can we collect some reports? Are other folks able to have a startup sound? What about Beeps? Not sure which apps actually generate these (“system_beep” call, I think); I happen to have a command line program that beeps on error, and I’m hearing that.[/quote]

It stopped working a few nightlies ago (at least 2 weeks), the BeBeep sound works though. I’m now in the latest nightly (from April 27th) and it still doesn’t work.

I posted a query about missing Startup sounds on the development list, and Pulkomandy replied:

[quote=Pulkomandy]
There are several problems at play. The first is (was?) that sometimes the sound would play before Media Server is up and running, but this may be fixed by Launch Daemon changes and Barret’s current work on media server startup. (in BeOS, the Media Server itself played the startup sound, also when you restarted it from media preferences).

The other problem is some sound drivers don’t work at all with some cards (in that case obviously you get no startup sound), or they have a delay at startup before things start to run (sometimes up to an hour). This is an area where it seems the haiku dvs would appreciate some help.[/quote]

and Humdinger pointed out a couple of tickets already on the subject:

[quote=Humdinger]
With #1902 [1], there’s a ticket almost as old as Haiku for it. :slight_smile:
Another one is #6519 [2].

[1] https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1902
[2] https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6519
.[/quote]

The second refers to a glitch that I’m getting too. Some triggers, like “Window Activated” or “Key Down” seem to be completely inactive.

Those folks who are getting problems might want to add to the first ticket.

1 Like

I composed a little short MIDI bit, that I intended to be played as the leaves for Haiku fell into place (an animated Haiku splash screen, like game systems (used to?) have). It uses the Koto sound sample, for Japanese authenticity. :smiley: Where can I upload it? I save them as .MP3 so they sound as intended.

If you like, feel free to go to: http://luposian.webs.com and listen to my other MIDI bits and let me know if you think I might have the right touch for Haiku. I’d be more than happy to throw my best into such an opportunity!

On the latest Revision I installed a few weeks ago, I put one of my MIDI bits (.MP3) and it started playing a few seconds after the desktop appeared, but it missed the beginning of the music piece. Are there any other sound formats (.WAV, .FLAC, etc.) that respond sooner/better? If the Audio playback code was executed just as the desktop appeared, that would make the Startup sound timing right.

I suspect that’s not a result of using MP3, but rather an audio-driver startup problem like others have been experiencing. If it’s slow enough starting you’ll get no sound, but in your case it was just late enough to miss the beginning. Having your sound start playing sooner would simply cut off more of it.

I was talking about having the audio driver or whatever load sooner and then load/play the sound file. But, under ideal circumstances, how quickly should the sound file actually be heard? Right as the Desktop appears or just before or…?

1 Like

The “audio driver” is a kernel add-on that gets started at boot and then continues (hopefully) until you quit, taking the audio data that’s passed to it and sending it to your speakers. It has no dependence on the particular sound source itself. What seems to be the problem is that on some systems the driver is slow to start, so audio passed to it before it’s fully active may not be heard.

As to the exact moment at which the Startup sound should be generated, that’s a good point… I don’t know what the trigger is on Haiku. In BeOS – as others have noted – it was produced by the Media Server when it had finished initializing itself; this might be a good scheme, but is apparently not the way it is on Haiku. I haven’t paid too much attention, but I get the feeling that the point at which the sound appears can vary widely on different boots.

If I may briefly interrupt the startup sound discussion… I’ve uploaded three sound sets/themes just for the fun of it and/or for the curious: http://apgreimann.deviantart.com/art/Sound-sets-for-Haiku-0-0-1-606241542 . However, please note that though I offered to contribute sounds, I’ve never created a sound set for a UI before, so these will more than likely be sub-par (i.e. low) quality, but it was a fun experience for me to put this together nonetheless.

And as for 4.5, I haven’t been able to get it to run on my hardware, and will give up on that for now. Anyway, just wanted to mention both things for anyone following either one; thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice sounds…

But I think the jingles are a bit to long (in time) and the fade-out is a bit to short…

Nice work…

[quote=brunobastardi]Nice sounds…

But I think the jingles are a bit to long (in time) and the fade-out is a bit to short…

Nice work…[/quote]
Pretty much agree with the above, except in the matter of length… I noticed, for example, that in the Shamisen folder “Haiku Crash Detected.ogg” is over 7 secvonds long, but all but 2 of that is fadeout – most of which is below audibility. The audible part is probably about the right length, but the fadeout should be drastically reduced.

I admire your courage in trying to match sounds to triggers. (:-)) Whether they are actually good matches is I think such a subjective matter that I won’t comment.

I also appreciate your choosing ogg for the format. I was a bit gobsmacked to find when I was doing some experimenting myself that an ogg file I created was about half the length of the equivalent mp3! I’m going to use that from now on, I think. However, that was one little “Oops”… I don’t know if you created the zip file in your Mac, but I suspect that Haiku is guessing at the attributes, and it’s deciding that it’s an ogg video file! (The same happens when I create on ogg from the command line.) As a result, the Sounds Preference refuses to recognize the file as audio! One has to go into FileTypes and reset it to audio/ogg. Best if folks could do this before zipping, if possible…

Here are some CC-licensed sounds that may be useful - see the .readme file for details. Just don’t ask where I originally downloaded them. I didn’t think to bookmark that at the time and they’ve been sitting in my nonpackaged directory for ages.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1043447/sounds.zip

1 Like

I got around to putting a small collection of sounds together. No idea whether they’ll appeal to anyone else. They’re on the web at http://goodeveca.net/haiku/HaikuSounds.zip (~0.5MB)

I haven’t tried to match sounds to uses – though most of them are probably best suited for Startup. I just started with a couple of melodic sequences and processed them in various ways. One set is intended to represent the “Falling Leaves” theme suggested by others. These are rather long, but I’m not sure they could be shorter without losing the effect.

Everything was done within Haiku, BTW.

1 Like

Anyone else going to compose some sounds? (:-)) [Maybe the ones I made were so bad they killed the thread…!] Or is it that startup sounds just don’t work on too many people’s systems?

I find I do like some of mine [though of course I suspect some bias there…]. I’m using a “falling leaves” one (falling_fantasia.ogg) as a startup now. Anyone who wants to comment on them – in any way – will be welcomed.

I did notice that I’d over-amp’ed RunUp_Fantasia.ogg, causing some bad artefacts. I’ve rerecorded it at a safe volume, and the zip above has been updated. (Also sorry about the random capitalization! Hardly worth a do-over.)

1 Like