Apache AGE PostgreSQL extension

Apache AGE is a PostgreSQL extension that provides graph database functionality. Unfortunately, I have to “make” it.

After getting development libraries downloaded and installed via HaikuDepot, following the instructions–I get this in the terminal:

~> cd /Files/pgFiles/age-PG12-v1.3.0-rc1
/Files/pgFiles/age-PG12-v1.3.0-rc1> make install
Makefile:120: /boot/system/lib/postgresql/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target ‘/boot/system/lib/postgresql/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk’. Stop.
/Files/pgFiles/age-PG12-v1.3.0-rc1>

Any idea what could be amiss?

This should give a clue? (does the file exist?)

Did you use --prefix when building? Everything /boot/system related is read-only, so you’d best use something like --prefix=/boot/home/config/non-packaged.

These are the instructions:

"

Install AGE on Linux and MacOS

Clone the github repository or download the download an official release.Run the pg_config utility and check the version of PostgreSQL. Currently, only PostgreSQL versions 11, 12 & 13 are supported. If you have any other version of Postgres, you will need to install PostgreSQL version 11, 12 or 13.

pg_config

Run the following command in the source code directory of Apache AGE to build and install the extension.

make install

If the path to your Postgres installation is not in the PATH variable, add the path in the arguments:

make PG_CONFIG=/path/to/postgres/bin/pg_config install
"

I do not know about “prefixes” and they are not noted in the steps. However, since postgres is in my PATH variable–I did not use the PG_CONFIG variable.

When I first ran this, I figured it was because the postgres-devel library was not loaded. So I installed that and ran it again, which gave the same error. So the missing file is the issue (should have been clearer in the first post).

I guess it will not build in Haiku yet. Too bad–it would be nice to have this extension available for Postgresql in Haiku to further test Postgresql capabilities. I have it working in Linux.

Postgresql 12 so far has shown to be very stable and database backup and recovery procedures very efficient in Haiku, which is comparable in performance in other OSes. To stress test it I migrated and loaded the FreeDB database into Postgresql and ran some SQL statement to test its timing response–very good!!

Thanks for the reply!

2 Likes

Haven’t done much in regards to postgresql, should look into it when I get around to it, thanks for explaining!