AoE or NBD implementation

Hello community,
I was thinking to share a hard disk over the network from a linux station, I was wondering:
Is this possible in Haiku?
So I started to search something like Ata over Ethernet or Network Bloc Device in the kernel drivers. ((iSCSI too complex for a home/personal operating system like Haiku)
I found a NBD driver, but there are no tutorials or mentions on the net about it.
I think it would be great to add a AoE functionality, anyway that NBD is what I’m thinking for or is it something completely different thing?
If it’s a network bloc device driver, how can we use it within Haiku?
Best regards

Fabio

1 Like

If you want to access it from Haiku could you not expose the share using Samba and then use Haiku’s FUSESmb?

It sounds possible. We indeed have a custom network block device that is used for network booting. But it does not get much use lately. You can look at the documentation for PxE booting which I think includes instructions to build and run the disk server.

For sure, anyway nbd and aoe have a complete control over the device (can handle partitions).

Thank you for the hint, I’ll take a look.

I had hope for native Age of Empires on Haiku, but that`s not the point here I guess.

Anyway - Network File System isnt this what youre searching for? https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/paweł_dziepak/2013-03-15_nfsv4_client_finally_merged/

2 Likes

@mmu_man wrote the NBD driver. Dunno if it still works, he would know, I think.

Yeah, last time I checked the protocol completely changed, so the current driver won’t work at all with newer servers. But I have ported NBDKit and the patches have been upstreamed, so we have some stuff to play with.

1 Like