Anyboot-CD - PANIC: did not found any boot partitions on all my systems?

Hi korli,

Great suggestion. One problem. The USB drive formatted by etcher is read only. So the kernel file cannot be easily modified to reset the “fail-safe video mode” in the config file.

Better explain what you are trying so we can help. Telling it is RO is not enough.

Normally, you shouldn’t need to edit any files in the USB drive in order to boot in fail-safe mode. You simply press Shift or the space bar on the keyboard when Haiku starts booting, and you should be presented with a menu with a few boot time options including fail safe video mode.

I have found, however, a few recent Mac laptops that wouldn’t boot totally and wouldn’t ever present the boot options menu. Could be an issue with USB 3 support, maybe. Not sure if it’s related to the difficulties you are facing…

Hi extrowerk,

Per the suggestion of korli, I tried to edit the kernel config file on the anyboot flash drive based on the links provided in his post. All files on the flash drive are “read only” and are unable to be edited. Hence the “fail-safe video mode” boot flag cannot be set.

Hi victordomingos,

Great suggestion. Tried both options. Boot with shift depressed and Boot with spacebar depressed. In both cases there was no menu with boot options. So still stuck.

That’s still not enough info. In which OS are you trying to edit that file? Linux have limited BeFS support, maybe your OS provides only RO mount support for it.
You really have to explain, how are you trying to edit it.
Notes: that file have to be writable in Haiku.

Hi extrowerk,

I used Linux to create the original flash drive and I used Linux to edit the flash drive as well.
My present Linux is Mint 19 XFCE.
I do not have any operating systems that support BeFS to my knowledge.

You can try to edit in a virtual machine: boot Haiku, mount the USB, edit the (correct!) file.
Or boot from USB in virtual machine.
The possibilities are endless, have fun.

1 Like

If everything else fails, open the whole disk in an hex editor and replace the # by a space in front of the option.
I hope you don’t have to go that low level, however.

I tried Haiku R1 Beta1 on my computer. I did this two days ago. It fails with, presumably, a kernel panic as immediately after the Haiku logo (and what looks like a row of clickable icons under the logo) appears — more or less centered on the screen — KDL appears with the messages. KDL appears in an area at the top of the screen and looks like the screen is being written to in a terminal mode (it is a high resolution screen and the messages appear in a tiny font that is a strain to read).

I burned the ISO to a DVD (having verified the checksum first) under Linux (Mint) using xfburn.

My computer is an HP Spectre X360 with an external HDMI monitor. I normally run with a wireless (bluetooth) keyboard and a USB mouse, but plug in a USB keyboard when playing with OS distributions.

I attempted to boot a number of times and tried various things. The final configuration was:

• Use the laptop’s keyboard and trackpad
  • Lid open (obviously)
  • No USB devices plugged in except the Dell CD/DVD drive I was booting from

[Added] I forgot to mention, I also tried to boot using each of the USB ports on the computer. [End Added]

If there is a Beta 2 or a release candidate, I’ll give that a try, but otherwise I’m not going to bash my head against the wall — the trial has to be a “Live” one. It is just too much of an effort restoring my working environment after playing with a new OS. I watch for OSes on DistroWatch. An actual release would be nice, but that is probably still quite a long way off.

I do have another computer I play with, but it is an Apple Mac Mini (mid 2010) and I suspect the hardware may be a challenge for Haiku. It is also under-powered — I use it for streaming a classical music radio station I listen to. It is running LXLE (a light-weight Linux distribution). So I have not bothered to try booting Haiku on it (I may do that if I end up with time on my hands).

Regards,
John

USB connected drive is the suspected reason.
USB 3 support have some problems, wich can materialise as “no boot partition found” message.
Check if your bios allows to set usb to usb 2 mode, or check the hw specs, maybe there is some exposed usb 2 ports on your hw.

Well done! I had read the whole thread, but thought USB 3.0 ports normally “fall back” to 2.0 when a USB 2.0 device is plugged in.
Anyway, being a firm believer that one should not post problems if one is not willing to evaluate responses, I rebooted and trapped into the bios/firmware settings. I found one called:
USB3.0 Configuration in Pre-OS
It was set to [Enabled] (the factory default as I had never even looked at that setting). The other value that is available is [Auto].

So I set it to Auto, though I did not expect that to make any difference. I was wrong. Haiku booted just fine and I was able to experiment in the live environment. Thank you!

I will make separate posts about anything else that comes up (I already have one - left-handed mouse).

4 Likes

@JRG: thank you for your detailed feedback about the differents solutions and workarounds related to the issues.

It really helps to became the forum as a knowledge base for future reference.
:+1: