Any roadmaps for a Power/ARM/s390x port?

See the topic question above.

There are no roadmaps in Haiku, because most of the developers are unpaid and work on whatever they want with whatever time they have between their paid jobs and other activities.

There is currently no work on PowerPC, and the 64-bit POWER or s390x port were not even considered by anyone.

For ARM, the port is somewhat more advanced, but still not enough to boot to the desktop. Itā€™s an interesting place to look at if you want to do some low level kernel hacking.

2 Likes

I have a Power9 desktop, and would love to have Haiku on it someday.

If only that wasnā€™t so expensive to buy :ā€™(

Indeedā€¦ it was a difficult decision to buy, and my only regret was not doing so earlier.

Is it that Talos II workstation from Raptor Engineering ?

s390x seems not relevant for regular mortals, hardware is extremely expensive.

4 Likes

My roadmap for the ARM port: I do some happy tinkering when I have enough time and motivation :grin:

7 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the one.

@s390x : Are you sure that s390/zSeries (whatever it is called these days) is a good fit for a desktop-focused OS? Besides the other obstacles like the lack of systems available for developers, licensing issues, etcā€¦

Ahoy @BlueSky !

S390 is an IBM mainframe :smiley: ā€” says as an ex-IBM-er ;))
You should have a big fat ass to seat before and call it such ā€¦ any ā€œdesktopā€ ! 8

EDIT:

That would capable to run thousand of Haiku instances - if it were resolved to do so.
As it does with Linux
You could use it to render hundreds of packages from source files :))

Haiku or rather a speccy version maximum could be a workstation grade OS ā€¦ but for that massive 3D videocard computation should be supported, moreover engineering and/or scientific packages should be strenghtened and focus on such features and application that actually targets Windows/Linux platforms.
Not even macOS Apple workstations are widely used ā€¦ except some film/broadcast industry and some folks who were capable and wanted to pay BIG extra much ten thousends dollars money for new Mac Pros.

Iā€™m curious what someone whoā€™s user name is @s390x thinks about a desktop OS on a mainframe.

Well, dear @rjzak

I became curious as well, and searched what about mainframe machine nowadays ā€¦

I found that information on wikipedia article - they are discontinued versions at least as S/390 ā€¦

However, there were an interesting sentence in it I had not known

========
Some PC-based IBM-compatible mainframes which provide ESA/390 processors in smaller machines have been released over time, but are only intended for software development.

as you can see, with a link to another Wikipedia article ā€¦

ā€¦ so for my surprise, dear @BlueSky, as a developer ,
ā€¦ if someone would have bought it for you, ā€¦
ā€¦ you could have sit before a mainframe ā€¦
ā€¦ as a "desktop ā€˜PCā€™ " !.. 8D

Moreover as it used to be at IBM, the mainframe grade systems are not discontinued generally,

but changed its name - I forgot it - and became

first ā€œz Seriesā€
(as it was in my service time : then every product line was some
ā€˜little letterā€™ Series at IBM)

I just forgot it as I was worked on the one lesser grade back : on midrange computers
p Series (RS/6000 earlier)

and now it is

z/Architecture
which is 64bit platform actually, not special 24bit or 31bit or even 32bit anymore

So - thatā€™s it ! - for the moment ā€¦

POWER9 port roadmapā€¦

I wouldnā€™t think about cost for users - my old dual dual-core AMD64 (Opteron) graphics workstation sold at $10K. Some high-end gaming PCs are near that cost today (even >=$500 game consoles are still bought enthusiastically by gamers) ā€¦ even digital watches are selling for $1000.

Cost is not the issue to many users if the tech/dev support existsā€¦ but, as mentioned by a developer - ā€œnoā€, at this timeā€¦

If it wasnĀ“t clear from my post, I know good and well what an S390 or a System Z is. I used to work at a company that had one of them around. DidnĀ“t do mainframe stuff myself but had to interact with it on a regular basis. Besides that, my father worked at IBM :wink:

So, for what itĀ“s worth, IĀ“ll repeat what I tried to say above: It makes absolutely no sense to port a Desktop-centric OS like Haiku to a mainframe. Just my own opinion of course. Everybody is free to do it if the want and are able to :wink:

1 Like

Yep, those were quite interesting machines. These systems were based on microchannel X86 as well as RS/6000 systems (these were called P390 iirc), both running OS/2 if IĀ“m not mistaken. My father had a few small clients that used these systems.

ThereĀ“s of course software-only mainframe emulation solutions as well. A few commercial ones and the open source Hercules project.

1 Like