Another Niche for Haiku Perhaps?

It occurred to me the other evening that in addition to desktop computers and workstations, there is another niche that Haiku would fill most wonderfully: Tablet PCs.

As far as I am aware Linux, with the exception of the Lycoris distro, has not made much effort at moving to the tablet PC. Apple doesn’t have anything to fill this need either, leaving no major players as far as an alternative (open-source or otherwise) to Microsoft’s Windows Mobile 2003.

Think Haiku might in the foreseeable future have any viability in this market?

desidaerius504 wrote:
It occurred to me the other evening that in addition to desktop computers and workstations, there is another niche that Haiku would fill most wonderfully: Tablet PCs.

As far as I am aware Linux, with the exception of the Lycoris distro, has not made much effort at moving to the tablet PC. Apple doesn’t have anything to fill this need either, leaving no major players as far as an alternative (open-source or otherwise) to Microsoft’s Windows Mobile 2003.

Think Haiku might in the foreseeable future have any viability in this market?

Not to be rude… but is there any Tablec PC industry? This boom never caught any interest, and for me it’s obvious, since it’s worthless I’m afraid. Laptops is intelligent, not Tablets…

Quote:
This boom never caught any interest, and for me it's obvious, since it's worthless I'm afraid. Laptops is intelligent, not Tablets...

I would disagree that Tablet PCs are useless. For people who need something to function as an organizer and for writing documents, WiFi Internet access, and email capabilities- who at the same time do not want to carry around a laptop, I think a Tablet PC would be extremely useful. I know several people who have found this class of devices helpful, if only they could figure out how to use them! :slight_smile:

Laptops are definitely an intelligent choice for people who need Serial and USB connectivity for printers and scanners; CD-R/DVD-R drives for burning CDs, and higher end graphics capabilities for heavy duty work like image editing and gaming, but for someone who just wants to organize their appointments, meetings, contacts, send an email to their coworkers or whatever, a Tabklet PC makes more sense IMHO.

I have a tablet, I HATE it.

Tablets don’t need a desktop OS. Windows is wrong for them. Linux is wrong for them. Haiku will be wrong for them

WIMP won’t work. We need a NEW OS’s for Tablets. It doesn’t have to be a total revolution, just like PalmOS was originally.

Haiku isn’t going to be that. None of us want it to be that.

desidaerius504 wrote:
Quote:
This boom never caught any interest, and for me it's obvious, since it's worthless I'm afraid. Laptops is intelligent, not Tablets...

I would disagree that Tablet PCs are useless. For people who need something to function as an organizer and for writing documents, WiFi Internet access, and email capabilities- who at the same time do not want to carry around a laptop, I think a Tablet PC would be extremely useful. I know several people who have found this class of devices helpful, if only they could figure out how to use them! :slight_smile:

Laptops are definitely an intelligent choice for people who need Serial and USB connectivity for printers and scanners; CD-R/DVD-R drives for burning CDs, and higher end graphics capabilities for heavy duty work like image editing and gaming, but for someone who just wants to organize their appointments, meetings, contacts, send an email to their coworkers or whatever, a Tabklet PC makes more sense IMHO.

But if you need an organizer, buy a Palm Pilot???

Quote:
But if you need an organizer, buy a Palm Pilot????

I should have been more clear in my original post. When I used “Tablet PC” I meant it to represent the entire class of PDA devices including Palm Pilot, et. Mea culpa! :slight_smile:

MYOB wrote:
We need a NEW OS's for Tablets. It doesn't have to be a total revolution, just like PalmOS was originally.

Hey, the Haiku team should make a scaled down version of Haiku. Something small and designed for a tablet/PDA. Actually, they should concentrate just on that and halt desktop OS development entirely!
OK, (awful) jokes aside, a Tablet is pretty much what BeIA was made for. Could PalmSource be sitting on a revolution? A revolution which started before its time? They own BeIA, maybe it is time to ressurect it? I know I would love something between a PDA with a larger screen and a laptop with a smaller screen.

Tablet PCs are the way forward imo, but I do agree a ‘standard’ WIMP gui is not the best way to go on them; it needs something more like PocketPC (or it’s later incarnations). I think a slightly reworked Deskbar and Tracker would be all that’s required to make Haiku work in this type of environment.

And, yes, this is another niche area where Haiku could expand into as it would get it out into the public domain. Imagine working on a Haiku-powered tablet on the train, someone leans over and says “oh, is that a Mac?” and you say, “Oh no, it’s a free operating system called Haiku…”

:smiley:

I would probably buy a tablet if I could run HaikuIA.

Quote:
Imagine working on a Haiku-powered tablet on the train, someone leans over and says "oh, is that a Mac?" and you say, "Oh no, it's a free operating system called Haiku..."

I already do that in the train with Zeta but nobody talk about Zeta or have heard about Zeta btw …
I definitly think that there is no real market in TabletPCs … for small terminal like Palm, but then, the thing will be first to be able to release all softwares actually available on PalmOS, mainly GPS duty things.
If you think that a real market is in there, so come one and grab one dev or two, make a personnalised Tracker and Deskbar, and sell your Haiku TabletPC softwares for it … or even a pre-installed TabletPC with Haiku on it, and launch your business :slight_smile:

It just needs an optional, different front end UI to do stuff with.

Similar in concept to what MS did for their Media Center software.

[quote=myob]I have a tablet, I HATE it.

[/quote]

I have a tablet, I LOVE it! I do need a real desktop OS for it beacuse I use it for video encoding and other heavy duty stuff. I bought it because I didn’t have a portable computer yet and I didn’t want a laptop (because I hate laptop keyboards and touchpads), so bought a slate tablet and fell in love with the use of a pen compared to a desktop mouse/keyboard combo. The tablet is much more flexible than a laptop could ever be, I can use it while on my lap, on a desk, in the car, standing up, while walking, in bed etc. and if I need to write longer texts I just attach a compact usb keyboard with fullsize keys and type away. It’s a mac so I have Os x installed on it, but the handwriting recognition is poor compared to windows, wich I run in vmware fusion. There is a third party handwriting recognition app for windows called ritePen that is wonderful to use as it allows you to write anywhere on the screen and has very good recognition. I have tried to use beos in fusion and I actually found a handwriting recognition app on bebits called peninput. It’s quite old and the recognition isn’t the best but it works! Could someone please contact the developer of this app to donate the source code to Haiku please!

Ok, i tried to install the alpha on my Modbook and the CD boots fine but there is no driver for the Wacom pen input and as I don’t use a mouse or keyboard anymore I can’t use Haiku at all. :frowning: All i need for it to be useful is a virtual keyboard and a wacom driver.

I found a Netslate (Netbook-Slate-Tablet) http://www.amtek.com.tw/english/T10L_spec.htm that I would love to run Haiku on.

Looks like it can probably already run Haiku - at least I don’t see any specific reason it shouldn’t be able to :slight_smile:

Ok, great! Does Haiku have a driver for that touch screen input, and does it support wacom penabled Tablet PC’s?

Man, that was just incredible! I thought to myself : “is there anything else I know on this earth that launches in ca. 5 to 15 seconds and works almost as the RTOS fitting in 400Mbytes of memory?”. And well … I’ve never worked on anything else like this [well, we`re still talking about x86]. Most of the tablets [not the actual “handhelds” that come in size of a typical smartphone] are equipped with pretty strong CPU and they also have quite a bunch of memory onboard, so you know …
Maybe a little port of Haiku for smartphones would be sufficient?

I hate smartphones they are useless. They are bad at everything they do. A 10", multitouch, slate-tablet on the other hand is exactly what I need.

[quote=marc]Man, that was just incredible! I thought to myself : “is there anything else I know on this earth that launches in ca. 5 to 15 seconds and works almost as the RTOS fitting in 400Mbytes of memory?”. And well … I’ve never worked on anything else like this [well, we`re still talking about x86]. Most of the tablets [not the actual “handhelds” that come in size of a typical smartphone] are equipped with pretty strong CPU and they also have quite a bunch of memory onboard, so you know …
Maybe a little port of Haiku for smartphones would be sufficient?[/quote]

Is it exciting news to read that Intel has its plan to boot Moblin Linux in 2 sec. From the links below we know it involves tech more than mere CPU advancement, and is therefore intriguing to know if Haiku can equally benefit from it. Either way, it is obvious that modern hardware and OS improvements have narrowed the speed difference between the BeOS-Haiku OSes and others.

While it is distracting, at this moment of Alpha release, to talk about diverting efforts, but another niche, development of an killer application, or branching out as an embedded OS may actually become potential directions for development that Haiku lovers would like to see.

and

and

http://www.h-online.com/open/Intel-aims-at-a-2-second-boot-for-Moblin--/news/113043

and

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8148594076.html?kc=rss

I just want to point out that most people exited about the possibility to hold a HAIKU-Alpha release soon in their hands.

After getting a bootable HAIKU-CD (maybe Floppyboot 1.44MB will still available), many people I hope will try HAIKU on their old hardware to run.

Thinking about Tablet Pc is way to early for me. I will be happy to use HAIKU with my older hardware. If there a chance to become hardware 3D Acceleration, the old hardware will run even faster.

HAIKU has a chance only if it starts with as few problems/bugs/ and a easy installer as possible.

The mobile market will be very strong in SE Asia as forecasts tell us.
But who knows what really will going to be happen in a few years…
there will still be time to react to some new inventions.