AMD Laptops for Haiku (moved from Vulkan lavapipe...)

Hi X512. I’m in the market to get a new work laptop, and my requirements are 15.6” QHD screen, AMD 5000 series CPU and now thanks to your efforts, a Radeon GPU to run Vulkan under Haiku. The only shipping laptop with these specs is the Asus Strix G15 Advantage Edition (with the 6800M GPU).

However, most AMD laptops with an nVidia RX30x0 chipset most likely has an integrated Radeon graphics as well (typically Vega 8 or 10). If your driver can pick up the integrated Vega then it opens up more laptop choices (eg Asus Zephyrus G15). However with dual GPU systems I’d most likely require a BIOS option to boot with dGPU disabled.

Any idea what would work best with Haiku and your Vulkan efforts?

3 Likes

Currently only Southern Islands series are supported, but I hope this can be extended. Maybe I buy another newer series Radeon GPU later, currently I have only one Radeon GPU for x86 and RISC-V machine and I need to move it to run RISC-V machine.

I don’t think that disabling internal GPU is needed. Both GPU can be used. I run configuration with Intel and Radeon GPUs. Radeon GPU is currently used only for rendering and Intel internal GPU is used for display output.

3 Likes

Good day @Zenja,

My experience with Asus is quite dissappointing, as well as with Apple. I wouldn’t go with any Asus product. Check twice before going that way.

Nonetheless, this is a personal opinion based on my experience. Yours may vary. :wink:

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Sadly, all laptops I’m researching have flaws (resolution, heat, noise, etc), at this point in time there is only a single 6800M + QHD 16:10 laptop on the market. Ideally, I’d get a 6600M to minimise power/heat/noise but no one manufactures that. This is off topic, but again thanks for warning.

1 Like

radeon_hd.accelerant currently crashes app_server on Vega.

1 Like

@Zenja there’s currently a great deal on the thinkpad T14 gen 2 AMD if that is of interest, but it has no discrete card ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 | 14" powerful, secure AMD-driven laptop | Lenovo UK

1 Like

The Vega graphics are great, mine is a Vega 8 and is capable of playing games like GTA 5 and Left 4 Dead 2 at playable speeds.

1 Like

Thanks Muchausen for the suggestion. However, no QHD screen, thats was my first requirement (so it fails that).

Can we please return to Vulkan, we could spawn another topic for recommended Radeon laptops.

1 Like

I moved this to a new topic.

I just bought the MSI Delta on Black Friday, which is all AMD, though with 1080p 240 Hz screen. QHD would be nice but as you noticed Zenja, there aren’t a lot of options there for all AMD hardware. I got this figuring it would have good Linux support and also later Haiku support.

Of course because of other commitments over the weekend I haven’t even taken it out of the box yet. But I probably will tonight. Then I’ll see how the screen looks. Other 15.6" 1080p screens I’ve seen have seemed okay, especially with higher refresh rates. Though I also prefer HiDPI if I can get it. But with the current market I decided to compromise some.

1 Like

You can configure it with a QHD screen I believe (16:9, not 16:10), but there seems to be limited availability in the UK for now.

1 Like

I see, the good old thinkpads have customisable screens. They have a 4k option, but no QHD. The prices and build quality are excellent, however very small batteries. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I’ll assess then to see if there is something that matches my requirements.

1 Like

Could this be interesting? Its much cheaper.

https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/de/Linux-Hardware/Linux-Notebooks/15-16-Zoll/TUXEDO-Aura-15-Gen1.tuxedo

Edit: Link in EN: TUXEDO Aura 15 - Gen1 - 15,6 inch non-glare Full-HD IPS + 95 % sRGB + AMD Ryzen 7 4700U + AMD Radeon Vega 7 Graphics + M.2 NVMe SSD + max. 64GB RAM - TUXEDO Aura 15 - Gen1 - TUXEDO Computers

Ryzen 4000 series (I’m looking for 5000 series), also screen is FHD, while I’m looking for QHD (minimal for my use case), preferrably 16:10 aspect so extra couple of lines in code editor.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Maybe someone else finds this interesting. It can be configured, has a reasonable price and performance and so could be a fantastic working laptop for Haiku with AMDGPU/Radeon driver from X512.

Alternately, how about mini PCs? Found this one from Slimbook that has an AMD Vega iGPU, starting from 599 EUR:
https://slimbook.es/en/one-en

2 Likes

Ah didn’t appreciate the T14 can have 4k but not QHD. I think the batteries are not so bad, though I don’t know why they don’t make them removable so that you can have a larger extended battery (still using an x230 thinkpad here, though upgraded with a bigger LCD and CPU)

Actually if you can find one with 32GB RAM the thinkpad x13 gen 2 has a bigger battery and a 16:10 QHD LCD, and can still have the Ryzen 7 5850U. But it’s a smaller 13" machine. There are many larger machines too from lenovo, in the T and P lines I think.

1 Like

Hey, that unit exactly meets my requirements (with customised upgrades), minus 15” screen, but is light. Looks like we have a winner.

2 Likes

Just take note that the RAM is soldered. I was going to buy one this weekend, but the 32GB model is not available in the UK (I guess due to the global supply chain problem), so I guess I’ll have to wait.