AMD Audio Question

Hi all,

I have an ASRock DeskMINI with an AMD Ryzen 5 that works great with Haiku. The sound works (piping out to speakers via the phono port). The listdev command shows the following for multimedia hardware:

device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
  vendor 1022: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]
  device 15e3: Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller

vendor 1002: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
  device 15de: Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio Controller

I also have an Atari VCS 800, which is running off the 1606G processor. This fella does not have audio. It only does audio through HDMI, which I don’t know is working at all on Haiku, but it also doesn’t show anything in the Media preferences, so I’m assuming it’s not picking up the hardware. This is the listdev for the VCS:

device 15e3: Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller

device Multimedia controller [4|80|0]
  device 15e2: Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor

vendor 1002: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
  device 15de: Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio Controller

Two of the devices are, I guess, the same: 15e3 and 15de. The VCS has the addition 15e2, but it also lists Raven/Raven2 for it.

Is it possible there’s a non-coding or non-driver solution to getting audio to work on this thing? Does HDMI audio work, if all the hardware is detected and has drivers?

Thanks!

Maybe with USB sound card.

I’m not against getting a USB sound device, but I’d need to know which ones were working.

Really, though, I was hoping that the device ID of 15E2 just needed to be added somewhere for it work.

Now I’m wondering why the DeskMINI sound works.

You coul try to install OpenSound.

1 Like

HDA HDMI is not supported at the moment.

I’m using 64-bit.

Ah. That’s a bit of a problem. I guess trying the USB audio is the only way, then.

Thanks!

1 Like

random curiosity, is this a huge job ? or a low hanging type of fruit ???

OpenSound is available for 64bit too.

1 Like

USB audio driver is not included as it still has some bugs.

1 Like

Ah. Interesting. I’ll give it a whirl and see what happens.

I was afraid of that.

Did you get anywhere with your sound adventure?

I have “SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)” sound on board - Haiku seems to recognise it and even knows that I have a “front headphone jack” - but no sounds comes out. (Reading this thread, at a stretch I guess I should try the HDMI audio; If it works I can buy a box that pulls that out of the signal, or get a monitor with audio).

I have also tried a Platronics USB DAC (used for telephony etc) - it doesn’t recognise at all. I had earlier tried OpenSound, but it refuses to install at the moment (crashing out)… I had thought that miiiiight work with the plantronics…

Any luck with any other external USB sound?

NB - I managed to reinstall Open Sound. Didn’t help with either the built in audio nor the Plantronics USB DSP stick… Back to square one… NB - the other (main?) audio device I missed was the “RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]”… Neither HDMI nor Front audio jack (nor audio jack on USB dongle) did anything (other than produce a few clicks on boot, and for the USB dongle, a low background hiss when powered),

It is not yet supported.

1 Like

That would explain its reluctance to work :wink:
Thanks for arresting my increasingly desperate path down Futility Lane.
One day… :slight_smile: