Alt key not working in emacs

I will probably stop this polemic with this post.

You can take a look at Emacs release history to draw the conclusion.

Emacs is not about ideology. Rather it is about features. Nobody tries to convince that Emacs should be used instead of (place your preferred editor here).

When e.g. Atom will have half of these features, your argument would hold. When Spacemacs would keep its development as active as Emacs, the GUI / OS integration probably would be resolved. But today Emacs has something to offer, that no other software has. In case these features are demanded, Emacs is still necessary. And today, November 22, 2021 the features of Emacs are demanded by a large community of users.

It is a bit older than me.

Most of the problems for which the CS/informatics still actively seeks solutions (and finds sadly subideal ones) are simply traceable back to the real unix world. Those features you mentioned (or just said emacs got them) are made to overcome with the fact that OS they picked and stand with needed them to write an another OS camouflaged as an editor.

I mean release frequency in context of pretended ā€œoutdated softwareā€.

This is really the point of Emacs, like it or not. Many people find it useful.

But the features of Emacs are not limited to (neither primarily targeting) Unix world problems. I mentioned one example of programming in C++ / Java / Web. Obviously, none of them were available in initial Unix.

I will not list here the features I like and use in Emacs, which are not present in other IDEs. Just mention I have an impression your point is: ā€œI donā€™t know what Emacs has to offer, but anyway, it should be deadā€. This position is purely ideological, not technical. And I strongly disagree with this.

3 Likes

I donā€™t see other projects supporting Haiku as a bad thing. You donā€™t like emacs? Donā€™t use it. Done.

After all this complaining about nothing, Iā€™m going to give GUI emacs a spin on Haiku, just because.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve just tried Emacs for the first time (on Manjaro Linux).
Itā€™s often mentioned as alternative to Nano and Vim so I never realized before that it also has a GUI and therefore wasnā€™t interesting for me.
Iā€™m really impressed by the tons of features it offers.
I must admit that people saying Emacs is a whole OS arenā€™t lying :laughing:
Now Iā€™m going to install it on Haiku as well.

Nobody said that, so please stop giving words into my mouth. For the reference, I did the original port of emacs.

Correct me if i am wrong, but thatā€™s how CS/informatics works nowadays. One get disciplined by the problems they needs to workaround and by the available tooling and at the end that poor person becomes blind to the real problems and becomes completely unmotivated to solve the real problems, as it wonā€™t pay the dues. So we stay in the same swamp. We donā€™t like it to be in that swamp and we did not needed to land in that swamp to begin with, but we stay, because it is 36 years old, therefore it is proven tech. And some folks like to stay in the swamp, but that should be personal preference/decision, not ideologized, how that sadly goes in cs/foss scene.

Orginally Be Inc wanted to provide a 4th way beside mac, win and nix. Now some folks just want to use the same tooling on Haiku, which can result in a bit-less-unixy-linux.

Now this is something i agree with.

If i did something wrong, you can always contact me privately to discuss about it, but i donā€™t like the idea to feel myself shamed only because i have a different opinion.

Apologies if I understood you wrong.

Unix (as opposite to Multics) has one-program-for-one-task philosophy. Clearly Emacs is opposite to this. So it does not genetically relate to Unix. Emacs does not target any specific OS or tries to solve these OSā€™s problems. Having Emacs in Haiku does not mean forcing Haiku toward Unix in any way.

Emacs does one thing well: Being a Lisp with a (G)UI.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just git cloned and compiled the new Emacs with Haiku GUI.
That takes over 1.24GB to download :astonished:
It does ā€œworkā€ now,meaning it opens and shows a Haiku-native window.
Unfortunately I canā€™t read any text because it has a font size of 1 pixel or so and I have no idea how to fix that :confused:
screenshot39
Any ideas?

In X11-ish GUI Emacs: Ctrl-x Ctrl-+

1 Like

Thanks,Iā€™ll try that tomorrow when Iā€™m at the computer again.

Is that a full git repo, or just a result of 36 years? I canā€™t recall how big it was some years ago, but this number seems to be at least one decimal off.

Edit: ok, the lates release tarball (27.2) is 40 Mb, extracted 148.
I better not comment this value.

Itā€™s the full download size when running git clone https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs

Why would anybody do that? Research shallow checkout.

Well,it worked after all,so why not? :laughing:

Yes, why not?

$ git clone --single-branch --depth=1 https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs
remote: Enumerating objects: 4778, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (4778/4778), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (4343/4343), done.
remote: Total 4778 (delta 470), reused 1782 (delta 300), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (4778/4778), 42.94 MiB | 2.94 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (470/470), done.
Updating files: 100% (4551/4551), done.
$ du -s emacs
216488  emacs
$ du -s emacs/.git
44708   emacs/.git

Oh wow, nice to see Emacs with a GUI, shame I never finished my XEmacs port but eh. Still, those antique GTK iconsā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but you are the only one at war against something here. I as a vim user welcome the addition of Emacs to our list of available software even if I probably wonā€™t use it myself.

If you donā€™t like it, just donā€™t use it. If you want other people to stop using it, build something better. Personally I have not yet found something better than vim for my needs. I have dreams of a nice native environment, but letā€™s be honest, neither Pe nor Koder are anywhere near what I can do with vim. And also, a native Haiku editor would have to be not just as good, but significantly better, because I still would have to use vim in my paid job, and so now I would have to train my muscle memory and knowledge on two text editors, instead of just one.

4 Likes

Just built Emacs. No problems so far. Font size is right. No duplicated scrollbar. Here is default look:

In case default font needs to be changed, here is how:
font

And of course, you can place the scrollbar on the right:
scrollbar

4 Likes