Acer Aspire v3 772g

Hi, I am new to Haiku and have never tried it before, but from reading a bit I found that it might be an os that fulfills most of my needs so I want to try using it for a while.
I am mostly a java and frontend developer, sometimes I use blender and CNC software.
I tend to just use my OS instead of constantly working on them and I prefer to not think about the OS at all and just do my work in a comfortable environment, which so far has not been possible entirely on the ~50 linux distros and all windows versions that I tried. All of those made me fix and change things with minimal or outdated resources so that they would hopefully not be in my way, with heavily various degrees of success, regardless of my efforts.

I saw that Java and Blender (though no hardware acceleration at that time) run on Haiku, so I could probably code in IntelliJ, but I am unsure about Haikus ability to run docker containers.
I would be more than happy to create and share user oriented software for haiku if I end up using it and noticing that I miss some creature comforts.

The hardware:

• Intel Core i7-4702MQ
  • 24gb Ram
  • Optimus graphics, 4rth Gen Integrated Intel GPU & GeForce GTX 760M (Cant manually switch cause locked bios)
  • Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter
  • Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
  • Realtek RTS5209 Card Reader
  • Intel 8 Series/C2220 USB EHCI
  • Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen HD Audio Controller
  • Synaptics TM2134 touchpad

Is Haiku something for me?
Is it possible to add haiku to multiboot from grub? (uefi)
Can I install it on a partition of a drive that I share with another OS?
Will it run at all on my hardware?
Which hardware is not going to work?
Are there any good step by step resources to make that happen?

Sorry if the questions are already answered somewhere, I only did a few quick searches on the forum.
If I should provide any addditional info, let me know.
Thanks in advance for any hints, leads or tips you can give.

It cannot; Docker containers only run on Linux, and we don’t have a proper virtualization solution for that yet (which is how Docker runs on macOS and Windows.)

All seems OK from this hardware list, yes.

Yes, just chainload the “haiku_loader.efi.”

The card reader may or may not, I haven’t looked it up. The HDA may need the OpenSound driver. Otherwise it should all work, including WiFi.

1 Like