ACE, the Acidulous CPC Emulator

Hello,

I have released version 1.25.0 which means I am finally up to date with the MorphOS version! :partying_face:

Does that mean Iā€™m done with this project? Unfortunately, no, not really. I want to make a few tweaks to the main window layout which is a bit glitchy at places. Then I will add Haiku screenshots to the ACE official website. I also have to port over all the plugins, and make a proper release of the Plugin SDK adjusted for Haiku in case someone else wants to write and port plugins. I will see if iā€™s possible to package it in HaikuPorts as well (and then use it to package some Amstrad CPC games, because, why not?). Also, there are some custom UI elements in this project that Iā€™d like to share as free software, but they will also need a good amount of cleanup.

Nonetheless, I am happy to have reached so far and I will take some time this week-end to celebrate, and think about what my next big project will be :smiley:

13 Likes

Is any project ever really done? :smile: I never had any experience with Amstrad but this emu looks very very nice.

Well, the whole project is far from done but at least it is based on up to date sources from the MorphOS version. Maybe this is where the fun starts?

I started taking screenshots and adding them to the website but I keep finding some little things in the UI that donā€™t look quite right (misaligned buttons, incorrect spacing, ā€¦) so Iā€™m now fixing some of that. I guess there will be a 1.25.1 release someday :slight_smile:

@PulkoMandy I get a crash on startup

If I move the ā€œapplication has encountered an errorā€ window out of the way I can keep using ACE though.

I do not seem to have working audio, not sure if it is related to the crash though

Also, some dsk files work only under 6128 plus emulation, which is odd. e.g. the first dsk in this collection resets the machine top 10 computer hits exclusive to dixons Ā© ocean software (1988)

EDIT: If I change to type 2 CRTC then it does not reset, but still no audio

Please give me a proper debug report :slight_smile:

I have already fixed a few issues, I may release a 1.25.1 version this weekend.

Well at present it is literally:

Install haiku x64
Update it
Install brexx
Download ACE
Run it
ā†’ it crashes

You can see from my screen shot which hrev I am using, and a stack trace. What other info do you want?

Ah let me try to log in to this site and attach the debug report from the ā€œoh noā€ window.

Edit: here: Debug information for team /boot/home/Desktop/ACE1.25/ACE (422):CPU(s): 2x AMD - Pastebin.com

There is a new dependency to libfresampleein this version. It is supposed to be optional but I failed at that.
Install it, then it should work and with sound.

1 Like

Hello!

Itā€™s time for a new release 1.25.1 of ACE!

As you can guess from the version number, this is mainly a bugfix release. Summary of the changes:

• A lot of tweaks and fixes to the user interface layout (I did this while taking screenshots to put on the ACE website)
  • Fixed page commutations in the disassembly and memory editor windows (the content displayed would not always be the right one)
  • Fixed ā€œjump to addressā€ and navigation history system in disassembly window
  • Fixed setting Z80 registers in the Z80 window
  • Improved transcoding of Amstrad character set to unicode, so a lot more characters will be rendered
  • Added a new splash screen during app startup
  • Fixed detection of system language to select the corresponding Amstrad ROM
  • Fixed various problemw with the symbols editor
  • Fixed endianness problem in saving of PNG screenshots, which would result in the wrong colors being used
  • Optimizations of the emulator engine by building it in ā€œcombined coreā€ mode, so it should run better on slow machines
  • New icons for the different phasers/light-guns by @Handmaus (thanks!)

Over the next few days I will have a look at porting various extra plug-ins for this new version. As usual, let me know if you find any bugs.

Download it at https://ace.cpcscene.net and be sure to check the ā€œRequirementsā€ page for installation instructions (there are some packages to install first before it will run)

7 Likes

Hello

Iā€™m trying to run ACE in Beta 4, but I get this error:
runtime_loader: /boot/home/Desktop/ACE1.25/ACE: Could not resolve symbol ā€˜_ZN10BMenuFieldC1EPKcS1_P5BMenubjā€™
resolve symbol ā€œ_ZN10BMenuFieldC1EPKcS1_P5BMenubjā€ returned: -2147478780
runtime_loader: /boot/home/Desktop/ACE1.25/ACE: Troubles relocating: Symbol not found

It works without problems on nightlies.

Yes, ACE pushes the limits of whatā€™s possible in Haiku and often it will not run on beta releases, as it uses the latest features I just added to Haiku as needed.
You will have to use an older version of ACE or wait for the next Haiku release. Sorry about that.

Ok, no problem. Version 1.25.0 works on Beta 4

It is a very interesting emulator, with a quite different approach from that used by others on Windows or Linux.
Any chance that future releases will add more visual preferences to better emulate the look of a CRT monitor, such as scanlines or other filters?

Thanks for the work

The CTM640 and CTM644 color monitors used with the Amstrad CPC do not display any visible scanlines. So, that would not be the correct look.

I donā€™t think there are any plans for something like that at the moment. On my side, I am just making adaptations from the MorphOS version of ACE, which also doesnā€™t do this (it has some smooth scaling when using overlays, I think these are also supported on Haiku but only with the very few videocards that we have overlays implemented for, which are old ones).

Hello,

Version 1.26.0 of ACE is available for Haiku! It is synchronized with the release of version 1.26 for MorphOS which happened last month. It includes all the changes documented on the MorphOS changelog, in addition to a few bugfixes and small improvements specific to Haiku.

Download it from http://ace.cpcscene.net

Installation instructions:

• This will not work on R1 beta 4 and earlier releases. Due to me finding and fixing bugs in Haiku as I develop ACE, you need a quite recent nightly build for everything to work as expected.
  • You need some dependencies that are available in HaikuDepot: these are brexx, iff_catalog and fresample. If you use the 32-bit version of ACE, you need to get the version of these packages with the _x86 suffix.

Let me know if you encounter any problems. Or even if you donā€™t, and you are happy using ACE (it will be nice to know Iā€™m not doing all this work just for my own use :smiley: )

5 Likes

Firefox (Linux):
ā€œSecure connection failedā€

Chromium (Linux):
ā€œNET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALIDā€

Yes, there is no working https for this page. Try http instead. I fixed the link.

I do use it from time to time though I seem to recall some audio glitches I couldnā€™t get around on the last release

Hello
I have done some tests with the latest version (1.26):
It works fine for the most part, Iā€™ve been playing some games and watching demos without problems, but it crashes when using the ā€œSave Preferencesā€ option from the menu.
ā€œSave preferences asā€¦ā€ doesnā€™t work well either, the application freezes.

With version 1.25.x it works ok.

Thanks for your work.

1 Like

Are you running on a nightly build? As explained few posts above, it wonā€™t work on the beta.