Accessing Haiku shares from other OS's?

No worries, and sorry just checking. Just a bit confused as to why it has an authentication error, I would expect it to give a different error if it had a connection issue.

Well, i am actually getting “access denied” to be precise, and i just noticed that there is this option “#PermitRootLogin prohibit-password” in the same file i enabled it but it’s the same still access denied, any other ideas/hints?

It looks like there is a problem with ssh keys or something, i just tried from another haiku box, and the result is the same.

The authenticity of host ‘192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4)’ can’t be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:f1sShEL5GmdmtbkqOpLNCWg8yLvYFxzbxBNybkEmgZU.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added ‘192.168.1.4’ (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
user@192.168.1.4’s password:
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.

I got a similair error when i tried from the windows box.

If you want to authentify by password you need “PermitRootLogin yes” (or true, don’t remember) in sshd_config. Otherwise, “root” login (remember in Haiku, the default user uis root) is allowed only by ssh keys, which you need to set up (id_rsa and id_rsa.pub files).

This will allow you to login with root but prevent you from using a password (only key exchange).

You need " PermitRootLogin yes" enabled. Try enabling that then ssh from another haiku box to check basic ssh connectivity.

I added the 2 lines you mentioned for both haiku machines but i keep getting “access denied” in both ways.

The very first time i tried i noticed this sentence
"The authenticity of host ‘192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4)’ can’t be established",
but the times thereafter i just get the “permission denied” msg, what can cause such a sentence?

Can you pastebin your sshd_config file?

permission denied could be almost anything!

“The authenticity of host ‘192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4)’ can’t be established”,

This is expected the first time you connect. Your ssh cannot be sure you are really connecting to the machine you think, because it has no way to identify it. After the first connection, it will store a “fingerprint” (in config/settings/ssh/known_hosts), so the next time, it can check that you are connecting to the same machine.

The “permission denied” could simply be the wrong user name. What is the exact command line you use? You may need to include the user name:

ssh -l user 192.168.1.4

Sorry for the late reply, real life thing.
What i’ve done so far are the following steps:
I dd’ed to usb stick a gcc2h image of the same hrev as mine ansd tested with it thinking it could be a bug that’s effeting only the x86 builds, but the result is the same.
then i updated my system to the latest as of today, again no go.
Then i uninstalled openssh and built a fresh one from haikuports and deleted the /setting/ssh folder to start from a clean slate so to speak, and you guessed it, no joy.
So now i’m out of ideas.
BTW, the user name and passwd work just fine when used with ftp without ssh. And just in case i’m pasting here my sshd_config.

What a mess, sorry guys how do i paste the file in this forum?

Just use https://pastebin.com/ and paste the link here. I’m really not sure what could be going wrong because it was very straightforward here once I’d figured out the right config settings. The config should help!

Here is my sshd_config

https://pastebin.com/PCRG4rsG

What’s the latest with SMB file sharing? I haven’t tried Samba on Haiku yet though I use to use it on BeOS WAY back in the day.

The config looks fine I think. Have you set a non-empty password on haiku? If so then I am stumped, sorry :frowning:

What do you mean? , as i said my user & passwd work fine with ftp, so i’m stumped too.

Samba doesn’t seem to do anything, the version that’s currently in the repo is broken, i built a new version samba-4.6.3 i get the following error message when i run smbstatus:

“mkdir failed on directory /packages/samba-4.6.3-1/.self/var/lock/samba: No such file or directory
messaging_init failed”

I don’t know how to fix this one.

1 Like

Maybe so:

mkdir -p /var/lock/samba

I tiried that i still get the other msg
“messaging_init failed”

BTW how do you paste an external text in this forum? i see you get it nicely formatted