About the zh translation maillist

Morning sir.

I joined the zh maillist and want to take part in the zh system translation.about it looks like the admin of it have leaved and I get no reply.Can they open a discussion about changing the admin?

1 Like

Remember that people are volunteers and doing this on their free time. Real life can easily get in the way so don’t expect an answer right away.
This said, localisation organisation isn’t so strict and you can start translating already. Main purpose of these lists is to introduce yourself with other translators. They are also useful when a language has strict rules for localisation i.e languages that variant of another language or, to discuss about harmonisation of localisations.
You can start by reading docs here.
To start to translate the system, all you need is a Pootle account.
To translate the user guide, you need to register here. It is a bit more complicated but @humdinger can probably help you.
You can also help to translate some 3rd party apps at PolyGlot. Here you will need a GitHub account to register but if you already reported issues at haikuports, you already have one. Also, check the help page there are good tips.

True, anyone can register on pootle and enter proposals to translate a string, but only the localization administrator can accept them, or accept new members to localize the guide, which is based on another system.
We are in the same situation in the Italian group, the current Italian administrator has been absent on this forum for years, on pootle for more than a year, has never been part of our historical group and is unreachable either through ml, personal email, or social network; we are considering, after the summer is over, to propose a change of management for our localization

1 Like

The official process for this is to ask on the general i18n mailing list: FreeLists / haiku-i18n

The previous language manager should be subscribed there, so they can reply if they are still available. They may not monitor the forums. I don’t know if Kurain is watching fhe forum, but I see they didn’t reply to your message from a month ago on the chinese mailing list. But I can only follow that through translations, if possible, a message in english in the general localization mailing list would make it more official and we can track who is in charge.

If there is no active language manager, the translations can’t be reviewed by anyone and they are stuck forever in the translation tool and never included in Haiku. There are languages with thousands of strings in that state. So, the fact that there is no language manager is indeed blocking actual progress on translations.

1 Like

Given that the Chinese translations may be stuck without being confirmed and that the timeline of submitting strings to the next release is about to end, I think the general administrators should speed up the process and approve it as soon as possible.

只能建议。2023年2月提交的建议,现在还没审核。放弃了。

@humdinger or @nielx , could you look into nominating a new language manager?

The Chinese translators have to nominate their language manager. PM me with their name and login names at Pootle, the user guide online tool and Trac, and I’ll adjust the permissions etc.