A USB Video Driver for High-end Webcams (GSoC Proposal) | Haiku Project

As part of the Google Summer of Code I’ll be working on developing a driver for Haiku that allows for the use of high-end webcams. By high-end webcams I mean in this case those which adhere to the USB video device class (UVC) specification. Preliminary work will involve bringing Haiku’s support for the Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) to a point where UVC driver development proper can begin. Understanding the state of EHCI support and what work needs to be done in order to begin UVC development is my major goal for the community bonding period.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/gabrielhartmann/2011-05-02_usb_video_driver_highend_webcams_gsoc_proposal/
2 Likes

What did happen?

This article is from 2011. So, 7 years of development did happen. We have a driver for UVC webcams, but it’s very crashy, so we don’t ship it in default images yet. There are also bugs to be investigated in the lower layers of the USB stack to allow this to work reliably and with a decent framerate.

Have three external WebCam’s:

• Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
  • Logitech QuickCam Connect (E2500) M / N: V-UCV39 P / N860-000114
  • ThrustMaster TM507A
  • internal … nothing works … how should I test Voptop?