A story related to operating systems (not directly haiku)

I think it’s a shame, that an article about Linux, opens source, operating systems… was censured. It has nothing to do directly with Haiku, but still Haiku is connected to Linux and also it is placed in the category “off topic”. You need not be the same opinion as the author, but to delete it, is a little too much, and also not in the spirit of open source. It may contain mistakes, as good as every article contains mistakes, for example also the most important article of Edwin Hubble contained very big mistakes and still nobody censured his paper.

The story is partly informative, but also partly funny. If you should not like something that is written there, don’t get mad because it’s bad for your health :slight_smile: , try to keep your internal balance :).

As a rehabilitation of the author of the mentioned article, I put again the link to this article/story, so that people who are interested can read it.

It’s an article, that tries to give rational arguments, and which has decent vocabulary and which is also partly funny.

http://linux-faq.org/eng/index.html

I remember once I was at a linux conference, and one who was talking explained how much windows costs and linux costs nothing.
I can give you an example how linux can still bring you a lot more costs.
I was once writing an e-mail, i wrote for about 1 hour, and then from nothing firefox crashed, and everything was gone. With firefox on windows i never had such problems. This happed to me about 5-6 years ago.
Now imagine that one hour of me is worth 100 euro, then I lost 100 euro. But of course, if my time is nothing worth, then i lost nothing, and linux keeps being cheaper option comapred to windows.
Even Linux made progress in the last years, still there are a lot of things that in fact should be more userfriendly and they still work badly. For example I remember i used Fedora with KDE, and left mouse clicks with the touchpad were not possible, first i was thinking that my touchpad is broken, then i noticed, that i had to use the left mouse-button of the touchpad. After finally i could log-in, i searched an option to enable that touchpad tapping, and i didn’t find any option in the gui configuration. Then i searched for a solution on google, and read that i have go edit a certain configuration file!!! I think that was in fedora 11.

These are just 2 examples to show that the author of that article enumerates also some real facts.

I thought that the author deleted it, but I am probably mistaken.

Yes it does look like the author’s own self-censorship. Only website admins have the power to edit topics.

The note explaining that the post was edited was written in broken English much like the original poster.

Windows doesn’t support virtual desktops
Virtual desktop can never replace second monitor. Drawing analogies, instead of second toilet in the house, Linux offers to install one more bowl near first one. Like “What? There are two holes, and large family won’t have any problems.”

I just had to laugh. Thats the funniest thing he siad.

[quote=thatguy]Windows doesn’t support virtual desktops
Virtual desktop can never replace second monitor. Drawing analogies, instead of second toilet in the house, Linux offers to install one more bowl near first one. Like “What? There are two holes, and large family won’t have any problems.”

I just had to laugh. Thats the funniest thing he siad.[/quote]

Ah but this is quite clear:
When toilets made their way into the story, somebody was offended by it.
And as we all know, in modern society, we must all be allowed to live our whole lives free from being offended by anything. Ever.

While that article’s writer makes some good points, he is sadly one of the disillusioned-from-opensource type of guy, who (just like Linuxhaters blog’s authour) spits out his rage to anyone unfortunate to stumble the site. It’s like he wants to wage a war against open source in general, maybe because it didn’t fullfilled his desktop dreams?

And what about that Linux is losing marketshare on the server niche? I googled it, but only got three year old articles and forum posts.

But I think, in the long term, Linux could lose it. Current hackers will gradually “die out”, and the younger generation, who are generally happy with their Windows/Mac system, will be unlikely to continue their work.

[quote=szaby33]While that article’s writer makes some good points, he is sadly one of the disillusioned-from-opensource type of guy, who (just like Linuxhaters blog’s authour) spits out his rage to anyone unfortunate to stumble the site. It’s like he wants to wage a war against open source in general, maybe because it didn’t fullfilled his desktop dreams?

And what about that Linux is losing marketshare on the server niche? I googled it, but only got three year old articles and forum posts.

But I think, in the long term, Linux could lose it. Current hackers will gradually “die out”, and the younger generation, who are generally happy with their Windows/Mac system, will be unlikely to continue their work.[/quote]

Linux never had it, ever. The only place linux was moderately competitive was servers. Lets be blunt. In the age of shrinking staff and budgets. Microsoft offerings are more appealing as they typically reduce the number of people required for adminstration.

Thats just how it is.

[quote=thatguy][
Linux never had it, ever. The only place linux was moderately competitive was servers.[/quote]

Aside from supercomputers where it’s unchallenged, or mainframes, where Linux is right after IBM’s z/OS, or embedded systems where it’s huge and growing, or the desktop where it seems to have the number three spot which is nothing to be sneezed at in a multi-billion dollar industry.

So aside from everywhere else, yeah, that’s the only place.

Latest Firefox crashed on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on same situation (writing an email for about 45 mins.)…

[quote=NoHaikuForMe][quote=thatguy][
Linux never had it, ever. The only place linux was moderately competitive was servers.[/quote]

Aside from supercomputers where it’s unchallenged, or mainframes, where Linux is right after IBM’s z/OS, or embedded systems where it’s huge and growing, or the desktop where it seems to have the number three spot which is nothing to be sneezed at in a multi-billion dollar industry.

So aside from everywhere else, yeah, that’s the only place.[/quote]

Lets be realistic hear, before I laugh my ass off.

First off. Show me one autmotive PCM with linux ??

Deafing silence.

How about Stereos with linux ?

Nope

How about TV’s with linux,

what 2 and they never really sold enough to matter.

How Large autmated manufacturing.

Linux ? nope, mostly hand written assembly or compiled Motorla PowerPc or 68332 variants there to.

Lets see, thats like 75% of all the processors made.

Whats that about linux being popular, oh yeah phones,tablets and servers. Hmmm Well AMD and Intel have new products which run win7 on tablets and better then ARM does. Ahhh phones, yep and most likely once AMD and intel get the power consumption and pricing correct, that will vanish to.

Servers, well Ms has roughly 50% of the market and since they introduced the latest version of server software. Its been growing.

As for supercomputers. Really ? Most of those OS’s are custom written.

Linux is reaching EOL.In fact the linux market share has been shrinking. Not growing. It peaked about 24 months ago and has been in a decline since.

then you have Pc’s and they have a whopping 1% maybe less market share there.

Heh, what a troll. Of all your BS here this in particular is just hilarious, please point me to the source of this statement.

For the non-trolls who are actually interested in facts, here’s a list of Linux powered devices:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux-based_devices

Supercomputers (Linux leads with 91.8%):

Servers:

Quick overview:

[quote=Rox][quote=thatguy]
Linux is reaching EOL.In fact the linux market share has been shrinking. Not growing. It peaked about 24 months ago and has been in a decline since.
[/quote]
Heh, what a troll. Of all your BS here this in particular is just hilarious, please point me to the source of this statement.

For the non-trolls who are actually interested in facts, here’s a list of Linux powered devices:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux-based_devices

Supercomputers (Linux leads with 91.8%):

Servers:

Quick overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Overview[/quote]

How many supercomputers are in the world today ? Great I was wrong about linux, Last time I was remotely interested in supercomputers I was in my early 20’s, at that point unix was still holding the fort.

BTW the sever market share stats are not correct in the wiki article. its around 40% for both today and thats just the way it is. Secondly they both seem to be cohabitating in virtual machines for a variety of reasons. the primary one being client side issues.

But if you wish to keep telling us how great linux is, feel free. I personally do not care. Linux doesn’t effect me and if it runs exsclusively on super computers. Big whopdee do.

As for servers, its a tight 2 horse race.

as to the trolling. why are you here if you like linux so much ??? There are several linux trolls here and its getting annoying. The article is correct. No one really cares about linux, with the exception of data farms and servers, which doesn’t make up the majority of the lanscape of personal computer use. those are simply delivery tools.

here is the website for linux users, why don’t you head back over there.Take NoHaikuForMe with you.

go have fun.

‘just the way it is’ ?? At the bottom of the wiki page you can find links to all the statistics that make up this analysis. What are your data based upon? Your gut feeling?

No, you are the one who for some reason wants to spread lies regarding Linux. I am just refuting your flat out lies, also I am still waiting for your explanation of this claim you made:

-‘Linux is reaching EOL.In fact the linux market share has been shrinking. Not growing. It peaked about 24 months ago and has been in a decline since.’

I didn’t bring up Linux here, you on the other hand make up lies about it though which is just weird since you claim you don’t care. It’s on par with NoHaikuForMe who hangs around here on a Haiku site when not even interested in running the OS. I sometimes question the huge amount of time I spend reading about/hacking on Haiku, but I chalk it up to me loving the OS. Spending alot of time arguing against an OS they have no interest in (NoHaikuForMe) or spreading bullshit about an OS (YOU) is something I really can’t understand.

Linux will never die . It is open source and a huge bunch of people working day and night for its development . Its desktop use has great potential and people are willing to use it .
Ever heared of Android…?? Its Linux and future of handheld phones and other devices …