A good time to switch?

Within a month - Windows XP destined to be eXPired. This can be a good opportunity to move to Haiku. I definitely don’t want to learn a new OS and applications, only to switch soon enough.
I have the previous version installed; I think 3. I already checked it out; and it seems workable in most aspects. I can install the new version; and start trying to find all the applications I need. But do you think there are things that can be a problem to totally switch?
If I remember correctly - there were some problems with the file-system. Something was unreliable. Maybe with fragmentation, if most of the disk is full.
Anyway, how reliable is it today. Should I use it for files? And how well does Haiku work with NTFS now?
And if there are problems - are they supposed to be solved in the next version; that’s coming out soon, if I understand correctly?

There is an hpkg recipe for openjdk in haiku ports. Does it work? I’ll have to check it when I have more time. If it is working java apps should be ok in package managed haiku.

Hi MrAccident,

if a current (nightly) Haiku offers everything you want, depends on your needs. Especially the dearth of more complex/feature complete applications can be a show stopper. It’s easiest to just put a current nightly anyboot onto a USB stick and try it.
There can still be the odd data corruption, though I haven’t had one for a very long time. It’s still a pre-release. Therefore, I urge everyone to do regular backups of your data, esp. concerning your nickname. :slight_smile:
I have no issues reading from NTFS partitions, but writing is very very slow for larger files.
A new official release will probably not fundamentally change what I wrote above…

If you’ve tried a current Haiku on a USB stick and conclude that it works for you for most of the things you need, you may want to install it alongside WindowsXP. The fact that WindowsXP won’t get any more (security) updates, doesn’t have to concern you as long as you keep offline. So you may want to keep XP around for the software still lacking under Haiku, but pull the LAN cable (or keep a disconnected WLAN). Maybe Haiku gets a VirtualBox port one day and you can quickly fire up XP without having to leave Haiku…

Regards,
Humdinger

Thanks humdinger.
I’m online 24\7, or at least the machine is; so that’s not an option.
As I said - I already have an older version of Haiku installed on one of the drives; so I’ll install a new version instead of it.
Where can the data be corrupted? On BFS or on NTFS? And will it be one file or what? And what kind of a corruption can occur? Will I notice it?
I think that all the apps I need, exist for Haiku, from what I saw; but who knows if in a working or broken condition. That I will check.
Is the nightly better than the official; like support for more apps?

hrev 46642 x86 - the best choice for the user http://haiku-files.org/unsupported-builds/x86-gcc4hybrid/
HaikuOS - the only operating system installed on my home laptop.
Openjava and Qt4 software work fine.

kim1963 - Cool. So that’s your main computer?
What file-system do you use?
I install the GCC 4 Hybrid as the Haiku installation?

I can’t say. Personally, I don’t risk mounting any non-BFS partition writable (aside from some testing partition on a USB drive). I have Linux as a dual-boot and if I have to get data on a non-BFS partition, I just boot up Linux, mount the BFS partition (read-only) and copy the data where I want it. Maybe I’m too paranoid there…
I also have a NAS, which I use for backups and can access from anywhere via SAMBA, NFS or simply FTP.

In any case, you should keep an eye on the BFS integrity by running “checkfs /boot” (or on any other BFS partition) regularly. It’ll try to fix any filesystem problems.

Difficult to answer. Haiku recently switched to a package management system which required some rather big changes. The repository with the new HPKG packages isn’t yet populated with that many apps. Some of the software listed at Haikuware might not work out of the box anymore, though most should, see this article.

I’d still go for an official nightly, i.e. a gcc2hybrid. I’d advise against a gcc4 or gcc4hybrid image which are only available for testing purposes.

Regards,
Humdinger

humdinger - so you think there can be a great damage to the file-system? What do you think can happen? I have no idea about this issue; that’s why I’m asking.

Yeah, I read that it’s recommend to install gcc2hybrid and not gcc4hybrid. kim1963 - do you have a special reason why you recommend 4 and not 2?

humdinger - how long the checkfs /boot takes? I have a 80G disk I may use for BFS. How long do you think it’ll take, if the disk is almost full?

Just take a look here:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=new&status=reopened&component=^File+Systems%2FBFS&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority

It should contain all know bugs with bfs so you can make yourself a picture…

The biggest bug… corruption of an directory seem really to occur really selten (listing of the directory dont work anymore).

But from what i experienced its quite stable… but backups are necessary as you are working with a alpha version.

Thanks Paradoxon. I have too much to backup. I can always replace a file; the question is - will I know a file was corrupted?
And can the files on the NTFS be corrupted?

As I said, I don’t know the details of what can go wrong… I’ve been using Haiku as my 90%-main OS for, I guess, over 5 years now. I’ve had some issues in the past, mainly that checkfs keept finding errors. But as one should have current backups of all data anyway, I simply re-initialized the partition and restored a backup.
That said, I haven’t had any such problems for many, many months…

It depends on the number of files (or nodes). So if there are only 4 blu-ray rips in those 80GiBs, you’re done in half a second. :slight_smile:
For example, on my 12 GiB data on a 20 GiB partition on a slow 5400rpm harddisk, checkfs took under 2 minutes (90k files).

So, to repeat myself: keep an up-to-date backup and you can’t go wrong just experimenting.

Regards,
Humdinger

I have over a terabyte of information; but I keep a backup of the important files. Thanks.

[quote=MrAccident]kim1963 - Cool. So that’s your main computer?
What file-system do you use?
I install the GCC 4 Hybrid as the Haiku installation?[/quote]

I’ve been using Haiku as my main OS for, I guess, over 2 years now.

http://haiku-files.org/unsupported-builds/x86-gcc4hybrid/haiku_unsupported-nightly-hrev46642-x86gcc4hybrid-cd.tar.xz

Alright, thanks.

Just to make it clear, Kim is pointing you to an older build of Haiku, before the merge of our new Package Manager. In the current state, it may be easier to run some applications on that old version, because we haven’t yet converted all applications to use packages. This includes mostly Qt and Java based applications.

The package manager work involved cleanup of the way we manage the availability of two compilers (gcc2 and gcc4) in the same system. This will make it possible to finally have both these Qt and Java based apps, and the old BeOS apps (including replicants and everything) working together in the same system. This is a work in progress, packages for the needed pieces are getting built one at a time…

I haven’t kept up on Haiku in a while - did the bug preventing CPU throttling from working on multi-core systems ever get fixed? That was the biggest thing preventing me from making a serious effort to try it as a daily driver - that and the issues with WPA2 autoconfig.

hrev 47005 x86 and x86-gcc2 - not work.

PulkoMandy - I know he was promoting GCC4; now I understand why. Most likely I’ll use external apps; I’ll definitely use JDownloader.