Yet another UEFI boot problem

I’d like to try running Haiku on a HP x2 210 netbook/tablet hybrid. It has got UEFI without a possibility to enable legacy mode (at least I didn’t find it).

So I read the Haiku UEFI guide and prepared a USB stick with the required partition layout (efi boot partition with fat32 and a bfs partition for Haiku). I copied the efi bootloader with it’s directory structure to the boot partion and installed Haiku to the bfs partition. (i did the installation in a VM on my Linux machine, using USB passthrough.

I then tried booting the HP netbook with the USB stick. I could select it in the UEFI boot menu and got to the Haiku boot loader. It lists the Haiku partition as currently selected. But the “continue booting” is greyed out.

Does anybody have an idea what I could be doing wrong or how to resolve it.

Have you tried “select boot volume”? does anything show up there?

Yes I did. The “Haiku” entry (the BFS partition is named like that) shows up. When I go 1 level back in the menu the “continue booting” option is active. When I select it the option becomes inactive again. Nothing else happens.

I’m not sure if I set the BFS partition to “active”. Does that even matter to UEFI?

@BlueSky:

UEFI on Haiku may be having some growing pains, but it does work here when using the R1/Beta2 image. I have the 64 bit Atomic Pi, and it needs UEFI images to work. Fortunately, Beta2 has it all set up. There is a little quirk, but it’s not much bother. When it boots, the boot loader has the “continue booting” selection grayed out (like you wrote) until I select the “Rescan Volumes” item. Then I go back to the boot volume again (Haiku volume) and select it - and the “continue booting” list item is activated. Selecting it at that point gets Haiku running.

Maybe I should file a bug report? Anyway, Haiku works OK on my Atomic if I take the extra step. I’m liking the (new to me) SBC on Haiku, although it’s seemingly not as fast as my XU4, based on touchy-feely metrics, and is a little jittery on Youtube. Also - there’s no audio since the SBC seems to have only USB audio sources built into it.

1 Like

Unlike Haiku, when running FreeBSD on the Atomic, there’s no jittery-ness on Youtube. Wonder why that is the case? My screen app shows the framebuffer mode being used, although Intel HD Graphics are available on the SBC. How do I activate the HD graphics? Guess that question is for another thread. Sorry.

If it’s not used, it’s because the driver is not compatible. You would probably get a black screen if you tried.
Also note that currently there is no difference in performance between the native driver and VESA.

1 Like