Yandex (hopefully) agrees to host our repos!

Guys with Github accounts please support the guy from Yandex for trying to host our repos!

Yandex provides a major mirror for many linux repos in Russia and eastern Europe.

Checkout what they host here https://mirror.yandex.ru/

We need to let them know that they do it not for a single person on the Earth, ok? :slight_smile:

Please give your likes and hearts here:

12 Likes

Do not really understand what’s going on there, but is there any security risk? Hope Yandex will only mirror some Haiku’s stuff?

Yes, that’s the plan. Yandex officially hosts repos of many linux distros as well as freebsd. So being hosted there is a big thing for us. Hopefully we get there.

5 Likes

Ok, thank you for your answer. Haiku matures :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it only the disc image downloads, or also the complete repository of packages?

I’m a bit uncomfortable with the latter because we don’t have any kind of package signing in place. So you have to completely trust them to never change the packages, and never let anyone else hack their servers to do it.

The risk is probably low, but it would be better to try to do things right here…

1 Like

For linux distros it’s both.

I think they’re trustworthy enough. And we can improve the security by signing the repo later.

3 Likes

Vorsicht ist besser als Nachsicht.

Is there a reason to take that risk other than “slightly less load on out servers”?

Everyone can make their own choice. We are not taking down the existing repositories (which are also hosted somewhere not invulnerable to attack anyway…). Now you can chose who you trust more :slight_smile: / whichever has faster peering to your place to get fast downloads (if you trust everyone)

1 Like

Yandex is a great alternative to (evil and greedy) Google.
Not only that it’s alternative, but it’s better in many ways … especially at this time we’re in and all of the censorship.
You can find much more info searching Yandex, than you can if you “Google” something.

2 Likes

I won’t derail this thread, just wanted to ask if you have an example of what search term shows that censoring when comparing Yandex and Google.

1 Like

I know Yandex only by the fact that Yandex Browser is one of the least privacy friendly browsers with Edge and Chrome…

3 Likes

Yandex is a great alternative to (evil and greedy) Google

I would not get fooled. I am not implying anything behind Yandex,
but there are several examples of where corporations worked together
when it is against The People anyway, as long as this yields more profit.
See Microsoft using the adChromium base. Simply don’t trust ANY
company - what they do is outside of your control. To assume that
one is “less evil” may be correct but is still a naive assumption to
do, IMO.

On topic: I think it’s perfectly fine to have more host opportunities.
Sometimes Github (which is Microsoft) had outages; yes, it’s
usually not for long but you can see this happen in the past,
always yielding hilarious reddit discussions.

2 Likes

Don’t trust any people or group of people either (for example the community on this forum or the Haiku developers). Build your own house. Create your own computer. Write your own operating system. Then maybe you’ll be safe.

4 Likes

I can’t remember exactly which term I used … but on Yandex I was able to find a lot more info related to electronics (especially Tesla’s experiments and inventions for example).

Yandex is also much better with image search … if Google doesn’t want you to see something, you won’t see it lol
And also … what sucks about Google’s search is that it will only give results specific to the country (unless you change settings, but even then it’s not that much better).

1 Like

Google is most definitely involved in censorship, as is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

getting us back on topic. We had truenetwork.ru things in Russia for R1/beta3.

My current plans involve trying to fix the issues with IPv6-only outbound hosts being able to access our rsync repos. Today we have limitations in our docker configuration which make opening rsync to IPv6-only hosts not possible.

It’s purely a technical limitation within Docker Swarm.

5 Likes