Xlibe: an Xlib/X11 compatibility layer for Haiku

I disabled the cursors for two reasons:

1. the wrong inverted mask in xlibe turns them into something weird ).
    2022-01-23_10-59

2. there is a crash when delete cursor in the XFreeCursor function (when exiting the program).
    thread 9562: AzPainter (main)
    state: Exception (Segment violation)

Frame		IP			Function Name
     -----------------------------------------------
     00000000	00000000	? 
     	Unable to retrieve disassembly for IP 0: address not contained in any valid image.
     0x7f6f912d6e60	0x156ce9b73df	XFreeCursor + 0xf 
     0x7f6f912d6e90	0x1ecdac4eca9	AppCursor_free + 0x19

PS: I purposely put disabling cursors in a separate patch to make it easier to discard this patch after fixing the problems in xlibe.

5 Likes

As impressive as the progress of GTK on Haiku has been so far, they really do not fit in well with the rest of the system. Hopefully that aspect can be improved on later.

2 Likes

How is the state of xlibe? Could one try to port Eclipse IDE already? Thank you!

1 Like

The recipe for Xlibe is disabled on 32bit, for one this broke the build for TeXstudio also, have to re-check here.

2 Likes

Or maybe it should stay that way? Make it work just well enough to be useful, but still bad enough to remind people that Haiku is meant to run its own native apps, not ported Linux or Windows ones

17 Likes

And some people would better see @waddlesplash to return to work on Haiku, not on archaic things,

• even if it have a use for somebody
  • even if it is a low hanging fruit
  • even if this generates some publicity for Haiku,
    some people only want to see progress on Haiku development.

Also his work can be considered a POC, somebody else can continue to work on it.

9 Likes

As xlibe is in haikuports now, would it be possible to adapt the officially packaged git to have gitk / git gui use xlibe instead of the current TK ?

1 Like

I think there are some small touches that would make GTK applications not so jarring:

• Always force GTK applications to use Haiku’s file picker. GTK’s file picker is a huge complaint on any OS, so getting this out of the way would make quite a difference
  • Make GUI widgets a more appropriate size, similar to native Haiku applications
  • Adapt the colors and eventually the widget style to look more native

Yes, the applications will still look foreign, but I think the results would be pretty nice. Native is better, but only if there are people making native applications in the first place.

3 Likes

From @3dEyes screenshots:

15 Likes

This would likely require a port of xdg-desktop-portal and creating a Haiku portal backend.

2 Likes

xdg-desktop-portal works by exposing a series of D-Bus interfaces

D-Bus? No way.

In that case, there is no known way to make GTK programs use Haiku’s file picker instead. Unless of course, someone develops an alternative solution.

Don’t we already have D-Bus and need it for Qt?
What scares me more is that xdg-desktop-portal is a Flatpak-related project.
Sure,a better integration of GTK would be good,but it’s not worth bringing useless container crap from Linux to Haiku.
If it works without copying large parts of Flatpak,I think it’s a good idea to implement it.

1 Like

Just patch GTK code.

3 Likes

D-Bus is available, but it is not used by most Qt applications. Qt use qthaikuplugins for file dialogs integration, no D-Bus is needed.

6 Likes

Perhaps, but has it been evaluated yet on how difficult that will be and how sustainable it will be in the long-term? I do not trust that GTK developers won’t make changes that would make it harder over time, incidentally or intentionally.

2 Likes

With the current xlibe texstudio fails to build successfully :frowning:

.obj/XKeyboard.o: In function `kb::XKeyboard::XKeyboard()':
XKeyboard.cpp:(.text+0x2d9): undefined reference to `XkbIgnoreExtension'
XKeyboard.cpp:(.text+0x346): undefined reference to `XkbAllocKeyboard'
.obj/XKeyboard.o: In function `kb::XKeyboard::set_group(int)':
XKeyboard.cpp:(.text+0x13e8): undefined reference to `XkbLockGroup'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:1124: recipe for target 'texstudio' failed
2 Likes

xdg-desktop-portal is for flatpack and such stuff.

We have it, we dont need it. If you accidentally install it it will slow down shutdown time considerably.

2 Likes

Make it work just well enough to be useful, but still bad enough to remind people that Haiku is meant to run its own native apps, not ported Linux or Windows ones

It’s a chicken and egg problem, but there is only one way to break the circle: Native software will only come as the user and developer base increases, and that will only grow if there is good software available.

I think instead of artificially limiting the integration of ported software, we should strive to make the user experience the best it can be, and then try to make the native experience even better so users will want software that does things the Haiku way, just like macOS users overwhelmingly prefer native software.

A unified experience is one of the main selling points for Haiku over Linux, and ported/WINE’d software integrating better with the rest of the system than it does on Linux is a great way to show this off.

5 Likes

It’s installed here,I knew that it’s ported only from the messages at shutdown.
It must have come as dependency of anything.

1 Like