Xlibe: an Xlib/X11 compatibility layer for Haiku

That looks fantastic @3dEyes. Is it stable/usable?

2 Likes

I just fix svg icons. It needs testing

10 Likes

Can we somehow test for you?

3 Likes

It needs the headers from it, I will look at it when I get around to it again, I think I mentioned the failed build on IRC in the weekend.

9 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: GIMP on Haiku

Created an issue there, got a patch to solve this so it doesn’t need libX11, rebuilding to check for that.
If things reported at the issue are invalid I guess it could be closed.

EDIT need to see if those changes can be merged upstream if things will work out OK.

1 Like

Without PDF output TeX-Studio is not usefull!
My son is studiying Math and Physiks in Heidelberg and he cannot use TeXStudio on Haiku! Why waste energy and time if it is not working?

Tex studio is a tex editor, it cant generate PDF itself, it uses TexLive for that, which is a different software.

2 Likes

My wasted time is on my own, if it’s not working as expected on Haiku then don’t use it (as discussed on IRC a few times already), texlive is needed to have the full latex experience for this, and you probably need to build that your self?

1 Like

Of course, sorry, but is it usefull right now? Who is using it? And for what purpose?
I am just curious about the user point of view…

Thanks Begasus for your work, anyway…

I’m amazed at how quickly we’ve been getting new ports the last few days/weeks thanks to Xlibe. GIMP and Inkscape are “big deal” apps IMHO! Thanks for the hard work guys :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Inkscape 1.1.2, and 1.2 alpha released!
Time for new testing?

2 Likes

Your question should rather be if TexLive is currently working or not. It only installs the minimum version and I don’t know if there is ways to upgrade its components. Wanted to use it with Lyx but failed, guess that’s the same issue with Texstudio. Otherwise I have been trying to install Texmacs which does not need a tex distribution and is available as a package, but seems the installation is stalling, was not patient to wait more though.

1 Like

Was able with the work done on texlive to create a pdf with texstudio (and a sample tex file) a while back, core package for texlive is indeed available in the depot, the other parts need to be build by yourself.

Te-Xstudio-Texlive20210325

16 Likes

This is great! I gave this a little test and was able to build a few audio plugins that use Cairo and X11.
It is running under Carla, though the audio doesn’t work because I do not have a Haiku-compatible backend yet. So I just run in “dummy” engine mode for testing.

Would it be possible to get glx to work as well?

EDIT: The software in question shown on the screenshot is https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF-Plugins/ and https://github.com/falkTX/Carla

20 Likes

GLX is theoretically possible but I don’t intend to spend time on it in the near future.

1 Like

Fair enough. The library used for the graphics is quite the minimal one, and I already had experimental Haiku code working before with it, just need to revisit it.
But that is off-topic.

Related to Xlibe, the XFreeFontInfo symbol is missing, I had to ifdef it out for Haiku in order to link.

1 Like

Great job! Are these LV2 plugins? I can’t wait to try it out when it’s ready.

1 Like

Thank you for all you do for open source audio!!!

3 Likes