Would it be trivial to build GCC4 Objective-C on Haiku?

I was wondering if any of the main GCC4 (C/C++) Haiku porters have tried to get the GCC4 Objective-C compiler to build on Haiku as well?

If it’s a trivial port, it would be nice to have it available.

Thanks for the info.

Andrew, I guess what I’m really asking is a question directed to the maintainers of the Haiku port of gcc/g++ and that is:

If it’s a fairly trivial task for you (the maintainers), could you please add the Objective-C compiler to the gcc/g++ binary builds?

Another nice thing about having that ported is that there’s this Objective-C++ part of the package which allows Objective-C and C++ to be combined in the same file.

Getting Objective C to compile and run Hello World wouldn’t be that big of a deal. It’s written in portable C, right? The issue is libraries. You will have standard libs and that’s all. You won’t be able to port Mac or iPhone apps.

So, were you just wanting to compile an Objective C program or two? Or were you interesting in porting something?

Where are the patch files for Haiku GCC4? From what I’ve read so far (but my info could be out of date), those patches haven’t been officially been accepted so they’re just “out there”.

It would be great if they could be made available for download through one of the Haiku servers so that I could apply them to a fresh GCC4 source tree and then see if it’s not too hard (yeah, I know, such a relative term) to get the GCC Objective-C front-end to work.

I sent an email to a GCC developer who is maintaining Objective-C:

However when I pasted it, the post is flagged as spam. I have sent a request to review this…

Is there any follow up to this? I, too, am interested in writing software for Haiku in Objective-C.

Thanks!

Here is an informative post about the differences between Cocotron and Gnustep, from the Cocoa with Love blog:
Options for porting Objective-C/Cocoa apps to Windows

I’m interested too! I love objective-c and I can’t wait to leverage my knowledge to write software for Haiku.

As for libraries, Cocotron sounds pretty good: “aims to implement a cross-platform Objective-C API similar to that described by Apple Inc.'s Cocoa documentation. This includes the AppKit, Foundation, Objective-C runtime and support APIs such as CoreGraphics and CoreFoundation.”

I forgot GNUStep: here a recent comparison between the two: http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Cocotron-vs-GNUstep-p27952739.html

With some help I may be able to build libobjc and libobjc2 from GNUStep so that clang’s objective-C can be used, be aware that someone would still have to port the libraries and such, most of them shouldn’t have catastrophic problems while porting.

You can also search the mailing list for any other objective-c threads. You will get more useful information from the general & developer lists than the forum.