Workarounds with CLI programs

I wanted to make a thread, where we can share which programs we use under Haiku, in case there is no native application available[1]

I’m not a fan of doing everything in a browser, and I prefer Haikus way of using dedicated tools to finish my job.

So let’s start with mastodon. There are some CLI programs out there like: GitHub - ihabunek/toot: toot - Mastodon CLI & TUI
(I didn’t find the time to test this one out yet…)

But the one I tried and I’m using is: martianh/mastodon.el: Emacs client for Mastodon - mastodon.el - Codeberg.org
It’s an extension for emacs and it works really well under Haiku!

The only downside I see so far, is that it is for the use with emacs. So if one is not familiar with this editor, it can be a bit hard to setup.

Hope this thread grows with more interesting tools which can be used as “workarounds” in case we don’t have native programs available. And I hope this makes Haiku usable for the people who say “But I cant use it without X” :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Okabe

[1]Got the idea when reading @zuMi thread where he presented some nice icons (Just some icons - #11 by Begasus)

6 Likes

I find that mastodon works great in Epiphany. There’s also a qt-based mastodon client that can be built and made to work, however I don’t remember which one it is.

1 Like

I know this is offtopic but there are two mastodon clients built by the KDE community
First there is Choqok which originally was a StatusNet client (Gnu Social, Frendica) but recently support for the mastodon protocol was added
And since relatively recently there is Tokodon a mastodon client which is part of Plasma Mobile, but can run on the desktop as well

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there’s no client for Haiku. Posting to Mastodon via Terminal and using toot is possible though. “Toot” gives you all you need. It also provides a text-based user interface that is quite handy.
To install it, download the source code from here:

Unzip it to a folder of your choice.

Start HaikuDepot and search for python3.10 and setuptools_python310. Install these packages. Open Terminal and cd to the unzipped folder. Type in:
python3.10 setup.py install --user
After completion, toot will be available in ~/config/non-packaged/bin. Thus, the command toot will be able from anywhere in the Terminal.

Start with toot --help. This will give you all commands you need to know. You can log into several account and switch between them. After restart you will be still logged in.

With toot tui a text-based user interface will start that is quite useful.

1 Like