Wiki Logo

On the front page of the wiki is a link to a set of Haiku logos, however the logo at the top of the page (and on the forums) is not one of these.

http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/haiku/haiku/trunk/data/artwork/

Should they not match?

And on a related topic should the logo be part of an official Haiku ‘Visual Identity’.

i.e. define the exact colors, fonts, shortcut icon etc. to be used for Haiku related ‘products’.

Regards
Simon Kennedy

I created a version here to match the ‘official’ version in cvs:

http://haiku-security.com/donatedgraphics/haiku-wiki2.gif

I also posted a link in the discussion area regarding this.

stonewolf wrote:

And on a related topic should the logo be part of an official Haiku ‘Visual Identity’.

i.e. define the exact colors, fonts, shortcut icon etc. to be used for Haiku related ‘products’.

Regards
Simon Kennedy

I believe Michael Phipps has plans to develop guidelines at a latter time. This will be done in part to help identify the "official" distribution of Haiku and programs that meet compatibility standards. I imagine it will done when R1 is ready to be officially released.

The svn version has less detail (1) and (2) it is not used in any other Haiku locations (forums, main page)

Should we not then remove the link at the bottom or put the wiki logo in the svn repository.

One of the logos should be the (current) officially blessed one.

Which logo should I use to refer to the project?

Regards
Simon Kennedy

I can sense your frustration stonewolf.

For now, things are somewhat ad-hoc.

The best thing to do is post whatever you want to contribute here so that we can all look at it.

The official selection process is a mystery to me as well.

Someone ought to address this ASAP!

ar1000 wrote:
The svn version has less detail (1) and (2) it is not used in any other Haiku locations (forums, main page)

These logos are more recent than any changes to the website and forum.
Additionally, they feature in AboutHaiku in Haiku. They are the most official logos we have atm.

Stonewolf and others, I think the best thing to do, is to use the logos from SVN until further notice.
As for visual identity, Haiku is still in development, there is even an icon contest, and a website design compo coming. So nothing is certain until R1 is nearer, does that help? :slight_smile:

One way is better than two though.

I will look at the mockup again and see if I can find out more on which is the preferred logo. Not only for the wiki, but for the possible Drupal skin.

ar1000 wrote:
One way is better than two though.

I will look at the mockup again and see if I can find out more on which is the preferred logo. Not only for the wiki, but for the possible Drupal skin.

The preferred logo is the official one in SVN. Please use that one. We will soon post a news item with full instructions.

Why was the official logo removed from the wiki front page?

Purposeless wrote:
Why was the official logo removed from the wiki front page?

Pardon? The simplified "shiny" logo wasn’t used at any point. A user provided one, and one very similar to that will be used, although I am going to leave out the "wiki" part. To most people who know what a wiki is, it will be obvious. For everyone else, I don’t want to confuse them.

EDIT: P.S. I am also working on a new Forum theme to replace the current one. I will use the "shiny" logo for that if it is, indeed the current official logo.

ar1000, what do you think about making a theme for a Drupal forum? Our wish is to have single-sign-on for everything and the forum should be integrated into our website. Also, our plan is to reduce the number of communication methods. The forums should mostly be used for support requests and user discussions. The current mess confuses people. Our developers prefer mailing lists and it doesn’t make sense to have additional team forums if most of our developers don’t watch them.

I meant the LINK to the official logo; the link to the page on Berlios of the logo; it used to be in the ‘Resources’ list. It is still on the multilingual pages.

Someone who knows more about PHP and SQL then I could have a look at ReactOS’ CMS, RosCMS. They’ve integrated phpbb into it already, really looks like a slick piece of work.

togs_01 wrote:
Someone who knows more about PHP and SQL then I could have a look at ReactOS' CMS, RosCMS. They've integrated phpbb into it already, really looks like a slick piece of work.

I was also going to suggest RosCMS for some ideas - they have some interesting content there - I really like their hardware/software compatibility database.

There are two ways for forums in drupal: either drupal forums, or vbDrupal. vbDrupal may have effects on other plugins however, and the look is still less unified. Are we going to use Mailman on our own server soon? freelist.org is . . not nice (imho)