Why still a 32 bit version?

While I agree on that, and i like it that way. The memory usage of the current Haiku is not going to work in those low end hardware PCs. I mean, 400MB for a ‘base’ os with gui is high (despite being bundled with almost all needed software). I was think about reducing my Linux xfce base of 200-300, so imagine this. I checked and i use 226MB on a fresh booted machine. Statement doesnt make sense now :thinking: .

On the topic, as long as the builds are mostly automated, and take not much effort on issues, 32bits should be present.

Blockquote
400mb for a ‘base’ os with gui is high (despite being bundled with almost all needed software).

Do you mean 400MB RAM? One of the cool things about commercial industry pushing new standards is that you can find spare parts for next to nothing. I actually have a box of old RAM from computers my friends chucked out that I just asked to keep it since they usually upgraded to a system that didn’t accept that format of RAM they had. I think have 8GB laying around…the major problem is if it’s a laptop without an expansion access…but from what I’ve seen, most have access. So far, the only computer I’ve ever gotten that didn’t have that was the Fujitsu U820, which has only a single GB soldered to the board.

From what I understand quite a lot of extra RAM is used because the kernel is built in debug mode until R1… No idea how much though. AFAIK no one tried to optimise for size though so I’m sure other improvements could be made.

Also Haiku doesn’t use as much ram once installed… The live usb/cd has some bug that causes it to use more ram than it should.

1 Like

Yeah, i meant MB and RAM MB.

I have a laptop with 4GB soldered :thinking: . And low end hardware (real low for 30$) with more than 4gb would be rare.

Fair enough, i booted my vmware machine to test and it uses 226MiB when showing the about popup alone :+1: . I think i had more in the windows desktop but as then screen I captured was using 600MiB because of showing apps, i cannot say for sure.

Beta1 image contains a lot of source which can be deleted. That somehow uses extra ram.

Beta1 image contains a lot of source which can be deleted.

That’s not the problem.

That somehow uses extra ram.

Thats the problem… there are a ton of things that could be deleted from the image but then you wouldn’t have a Beta1 image anymore.

It is virtual file system in the RAM (for extracted packages) that causes more RAM usage by Haiku. If Haiku package system would rid of the virtual file system, RAM usage by Haiku would be smaller (by half?).
As I understand.

No, the issue is that packagefs somehow eats a lot more RAM than it should with the additional packages. I don’t know why, and have been trying to build packagefs for userlandfs to test this, but I’ve been running into some limitations of userlandfs that I haven’t fixed yet.

3 Likes

Still being a wip change, I am glad to hear that ram usage is being giving a go :+1:

I know I just wasn’t calling out packagefs specifically… glad to hear you’re working on it still.

You’re saying from 2004 to 2018 is 24 years? Looks like 14 to me. If that’s the case, then how can intel stop producing 32-bit 3 years before they started making 64-bit?

Sorry for mistyping. It’s effectively 14 years.
Just modified my post even if I absolutely don’t want to start a new war here.

14 years since 64bit, however even in 2010+ Intel still produced 32bit Atoms.

Once again, you’re right, but (because there is a but) none of these CPUs were intended for desktops or notebooks but exclusively for specific systems (usually real time embedded systems).

Hey, they were in netbooks like Asus Eee PC (I have one and sold a lot of them)! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just tried the recent stable on my rather sad old Acer Aspire One and besides lack of Wifi, Haiku works better than anything else on it.
When I can bodge up a new power adapter I was going to try it on my eee701.
Last time I tried on either was a few years back and it couldn’t boot. I’m very glad Haiku has a 32 bit version.
The hardware is still fine for programming and editing on, among other things. I like to say things are still just as good as the day they were made. I feel this applies here as well as any. There are masses of hardware out there which are still perfectly usable, and many still do. Why reject them?

I am in a linux 64 using a vivaldi 32bits, this is a very good idea cause i dont have memory enough for a good working with a vivaldi64, then the vivaldi 32 is doing all faster than any other 64bit webbrowser i had installled before, if i can get a hiaku 64 with 32 bits apps, maybe i can do that too, my hardware cant resist all the memory wanted by the software.

That doesn’t actually make much sense… as you are using more ram by loading 64bit applications and libraries, and also all the libraries required to run 32bit Vivaldi. The difference in performance is probably attributable to something other than just 32bit if anything 32bit is usually slower given the same exact software.

If you have low ram… you should just run a 32bit OS period if you want to reduce ram usage slightly. But honestly if you have at least 4GB … then there is no reason to run 32bit software for that reason.

The primary reason to have 32bit support on Windows and Linux is backwards compatiblity… once 64bit Haiku is available that will also be the case there.

1 Like

Yep. I moved towards 64bit for developing or testing things… glad to be able to have both on vm hosts.