Why i've given up on haiku

this statement “Haiku itself is packaged. there is nothing left unpackaged but a bootloader stub and just enough to start installing packages” you think it’s a good thing??? I refuse to use any software that lives in magical packages. If I can’t install the actual files in actual places then i’m not actually using the software! If I wanted a virtual OS I’d use a virtual machine. I’m stuck with an old 32 bit version of Haiku that still installs all the files, which is why I have to give up on Haiku…dumb decision…your decision that is!

All these learned gentlemen are missing one point, It’s not that Haiku has a package manager, It’s that Haiku is nothing but a package manager! Is it just me… Am I the only person who want’s my OS actually installed on the drive in folders I can browse, maybe even screw up if I feel like it…in the cause of learning. Haiku is no longer an operating system, It’s a bunch of proprietary packages slapped on a hard drive with a boot loader at the front. I’m sorry but this is antithetical to my idea of having an operating system and using software! And it’s a damn shame, because I really liked your OS and the mission statement behind it. Why did you have to turn a perfectly lovely operating system into a useless other thing?

There’s nothing proprietary about haiku packages…

You may be interested in a script that can extract a haiku system into a package-less install. It’s somewhere on the forums if you search for it.

But can I also suggest that this 8 year old thread is not necessarily the right place to discuss this?

1 Like

We had a lot of problems without it!
If you installed many programs and deinstalled it, installed some other apps with same libs after, you got lots of problems getting your programs run!

sorry i did a search and this is the string of posts it kept giving me. i see now that anything you don’t like; or reflects badly on you, you simlpy hide. so i surrender! you win. “Oh Haiku I hardly knew ye”

The hiding happened because multiple forum users flagged your post, probably because it didn’t come off as very polite to them.

Haiku’s packages aren’t in any way “magical.” The format is well-documented and there are tools that come with the OS itself that can be used to modify the packages. If you want to “screw things up”, well, you certainly still can, and there’s nothing stopping you; it’s just a little more difficult to do, and that’s on purpose – it means “screwing things up” by accident is also harder. It’s remarkably hard to “brick” a Haiku install these days; that certainly wasn’t true pre-PM. (It’s also easier to do system development: developers and contributors can rebuild individual packages and swap them in and out; and if you make a bad change, it’s very easy to revert to the older state.)

If you really want to, you can “unpack” all the packages and build a package-less Haiku install. Of course then you lose out on having all the nice features that come with package management (like the ability to install all the software ports we’ve been accumulating these past few years), but that’s the tradeoff.

But at any rate, Haiku is definitely not “useless”. As many people on this forum will attest, it’s much more useful now than it was in 2013 pre-PM, and by a lot. If you have actual issues caused by the package manager that you don’t know how to fix, we can help you with that; but if you’re just here to insult us, you will wear out your welcome very quickly.

3 Likes

People were probably suspecting a troll attempt. Registering just to post many unfactual statements over 10 years after we switched to package management smells like it…

5 Likes

You’ve come a long way man. Well worded post.