Why am I seeing "No sys loaded" at boot up?

I partitioned/formatted my Lenovo laptop drive and installed a recent version of Haiku x86 gcc2 hybrid on it, but upon rebooting I get that error message. What did I do wrong?

I configured the main drive for Intel. Initialized as Haiku format. Then initialized a partition as Haiku with its own name.

Do I need to set the main drive as primary (check the little box) as well or…?

If someone could give step by step instructions, that would help. I had this problem once before. I forgot how I fixed it.

I’m not sure, but when create the partition with DriveSetup isn’t an option to “make bootable” the new partition?

check the 3.1 section:
https://www.haiku-os.org/documents/user/how_to_get_haiku_booted/

There is a checkbox for “Active Partition”, but that is it. And it was already checked.

As of my last partition/initialization/install attempt. I’m now getting an Intel network firmware boot screen (whatever) that says I should check the drive cable! And it keeps restarting and saying the same thing! Weird!

I’ll try uploading some images of what I’m seeing/doing and see if that helps towards a solution.

I assume selecting GUID as the partitioning scheme is NOT the right course of action in this situation.

This message (“No sys loaded”, if that’s exactly what you see) does not seem to come from Haiku, or at least I can’t find it in our sources. So it probably comes from your BIOS.

It is hard to tell exactly what is going wrong, with not that much information. At first, make sure your system is configured to boot in BIOS/legacy mode, and not UEFI, because official Haiku images don’t handle UEFI yet (or use one of the experimental UEFI images if you want to try that).

Then, the best way to handle this would be to take screenshots of everything you do, every step. This way we can see if there is anything missing.

If you can’t get it to work with DriveSetup, maybe try creating the partition table with another tool (Partition Magic, GParted, …), and then just format the partition from Haiku. Sometimes this works better (because it uses a different MBR code). Alternatively, try installing the Boot Manager after creating the partition. This also uses a different MBR code and may work better.

Ok, I just Killdisk’d my drive. And this is where I’m starting from:

Do I Initialize the drive or Format it? If I go to Format, it shows this:

I for one never formatted in DriveSetup, only initialized. Works fine.

1. Initialize the disk with an intel partition map
  2. Create a partition (or more, if you want to). Make sure to set the Haiku system partition as active, and all other as inactive.
  3. Select the partition, and format as BFS. Enable query support.
  4. Run Installer to install Haiku onto the partition.

And that should be it. If it doesn’t boot with this:
5) Install BootMan on the drive (you can run BootManager from the command line in a live CD/usb to do this).

Thank you. That worked. I guess the drive was a bit monkey’d up after having had Windows 10 on it for so long and all those dozens of partitions (Lenovo restore and backup and this and that) and such.