Who is working on the Godot port?

I’ve been playing around with Godot on Linux. I see that the Godot website lists Haiku as both supported editor and target platforms. I have the latest Godot 3.0.6 stable running on linux, but it doesn’t seem to have the Haiku target. Is this something only available in the Haiku build? Do I need to install something else, or a more recent build? Is Haiku as a target working? What can I do to help? I’d love to get some Haiku-centric games created in Godot to help cross-promote both platforms.

1 Like

I think nobody, so feel free to claim the maintainer role.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten it to build yet, so that might be awhile. I lurked on the #godot-engine freenode channel for a couple days awhile back. Most of the traffic in there was Haiku buildbot messages.

I did some emergency maintenance as one of the Godot devs met us at a conference and told us they were about to remove the unmaintained Haiku port from their codebase. We hacked on it for an afternoon or so, got it to build, upstreamed my changes. But it wouldn’t get past the splash screen and we did not know why.

2 Likes

Should I be building from the haiku depot sources, or should I be building from godotengine.org/github sources? What should be the configure/build lines to get started. I’ve tried a few times from the godotengine.org/github sources and failed.

Use HaikuPorts.

I got that error in the above attached screenshot.

Indeed. I did read that too fast.

Would recommend this: https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/pull/3395 too

Is godot a good language?
Is anyone working on a program for haiku with it?
Is there any screens to see products done with it?

Godot is not a language, it’s a game engine. Primarily made for 2D but can 3D too.

1 Like

It’s a cross platform game engine. Games created in it are easily exported to supported platforms, such as Win, Mac, Lin, BSD, iOS, Android, and Haiku. It has a thriving community with lots of great tutorials and YouTube videos and games developed for it. It has its own scripting language, GDscript, which seems to take elements of python an Lua. It has its own C++ API, GDnative and has built in support for C#. It’s IDE is pretty nifty to boot, and supports development from the command line. You can invoke the engine like a python interpreter to run simple GDscripts, and full games. It’s site, http://godotengine.org lists Haiku as both a supported development environment and export target platform. Currently, Haiku support is very buggy/crashy. I’m still working on getting it to build through HaikuPorts. Others have gotten it to build and is available through both HaikuPorts and HaikuDepot. My attempts last night failed early in the build process, on x86_64 for same. This is a rather exciting possibility for Haiku.

1 Like
1 Like

I tried the HaikuPorts recipe last night with:
“”“haikuporter -S -j4 --get-dependencies --no-source-packages godot-3.0.6~git”""
and it failed early in the build. Is this the recipe I should be working with, and are there any other flags I should be passing?

Use the recipe and patchset from my link.

I’m not yet sure how to apply a patchset.

Merged, pull the changes to your haikuports checkout. Then “haikuporter godot”.

Just to note, apart from Extrowerk merge (that solves it), patchsets are applied automatically by haikuporter, if you have the file in patches subfolder and an entry in the recipe :thinking:

Ok. I’ll look into that tonight.