Which portable GUI and graphic library are supported to develop on Haiku (C library if possible)

The overall sentiment is that C++ is good enough and that you are lazy if you don’t want to use it. Because of that, fewer and fewer people will care about writing native code.

The overall sentiment is that C++ is good enough and that you are lazy if you don’t want to use it. Because of that, fewer and fewer people will care about writing native code.

There are posts on this board where members of the core dev team give indication on how to potentially do python/C/other bindings (using swig for example), so you may be jumping a bit quickly to conclusions.

Moreover assuming said developers consider everybody not familiar with C++ as lazy looks like a gratuitous attack. Do you have proof to back-up this bold claim?

Lastly, the numbers of Haiku contributors to the Haiku code base is increasing, that code base is mostly C++ code. So no worries,more and more people are caring.

While I do not agree with the wording, I do agree that a sort of C binding library would be nice, allowing even more developers to create native apps.

2 Likes

With any language chosen, there will always be people who do not know it, or prefer others. That doesn´t mean the language is bad, just that some people prefer another one. If one tries to accomodate too many individual preferences, the result is one of those "designed by comittee " situations …

4 Likes

That’s your own interpretation.

My personal sentiment is that C++ is good enough for me and I already have a hard time keeping my own apps working. So I don’t plan to work on bindings to some other language to help other people. Not because I think they are lazy, but because I have no time and motivation to maintain it.

If someone thinks this is really important, maybe they can write the bindings? We will gladly accept them. In fact, we have selected a port of C# as one of the mentored projects in this year Google Summer of Code, and I sure hope we will see at least some experiments in GUI binding over the summer. Why C#? Because someone thought it was an interesting language to use. Now they’re getting paid by Google to do it. That doesn’t seem lazy at all to me…

6 Likes

No. It´s just the reality that the native Haiku API currently is accessible from C++ and YAB. (and Python2 on 32bit systems IIRC). Anybody who wants to use other languages can either develop the bindings themselves or wait until somebody else does it. Quite simple, really :wink: I mean the situation, not the development of the bindings.

2 Likes