What to do with Haiku?

If your screen remains black or scrambled, you may have to choose “Use fail-safe video mode” from the boot options, see the User Guide. There are some issues with hardware that’s not supported by our intel_extreme driver.

You’ll have to blacklist the driver. I have to, too, this is my /system/settings/packages file for that:

Package haiku  {
	EntryBlacklist {
		add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin/intel_extreme
	}
}

I’m just having problems with the internet.
I will try with another network card and if there appears doubt, I will ask in the appropriate post.

I want to return to the subject of this post here:
What to do with the Haiku.

I think Haiku has to tread its own way, find its users niche.

We can not look at Windows, Linux and its thousands of distros, MacOS, now we have Remix OS (android), etc.

What attracts me to Haiku is simplicity and speed.

For me Haiku could be a system for learning programs and geared towards children’s education. Type, my first operating system.

Oh wow, Alpha 4 needs to be replaced with recent release as soon as possible, because I’ve seen people “trying Haiku” via this severely outdated download too many times now. At this point Haiku website should just point to the new Nightly build right away instead. But they would never do it. What a joke.

I did this I installed Nightly build latest and everything worked. I am very happy.
Haiku will now be my Main System even being Alpha.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Would be a better idea report this bug/problem here https://dev.haiku-os.org on the bug tracker: you get more chances to be noted by developers :slight_smile:

As I back to do :slight_smile: Since years I run Haiku as my main system, I went away for some months because I moved my PC in another room, where no ethernet connection was available: I had to rely on an USB Wifi adapter to connect to my router, but for now Haiku doesn’t support any USB Wifi Adapter, only internal wifi cards… Luckily, recently, I brought the ethernet connection in such room and I can enjoy Haiku again…
I have a dual boot with Windows 7, and for certain things I am forced to boot on Windows, mainly because I need Skype: there is the web - official - version of Skype, but doesn’t work with any browser on Haiku… If I attempt to connect using QupZilla i just get “Sorry, Skype for Web isn’t available on this device yet”; if I attempt using WebPositive, the page never finish to load…

I play games.

2 Likes

Me too :slight_smile:

P.S: Where did you get Zelda? Are you running using a an emulator? Tell us more!

2 Likes

I just re-re-packaged solarus after fixing some bugs in our sdl2_ttf package. It’s in haikuports. Trying to get a few more OpenGL things running.

1 Like

We need a new euae port for haiku. Would like to play again Amiga games on Haiku. Also, I could then reactivate my eUAE launcher:

http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/emu/euae-launcher_eng.html

1 Like

Well, now I can use Skype under Haiku :slight_smile:
But with a dirty workaround: I installed Windows XP under QEMU!
This is mostly for fun, because is a waste of resources.

1 Like