What enhancement I need or want in Haiku?

This is already possible with ‘hey’. For example:

hey Tracker set Frame of Window 2 to “BRect(1329.0, 65.0, 1905.0, 968.0)”

Be careful, Window 0 is the Desktop and Window 1 the Tracker status. you can check what’s what with:

hey Tracker get Title of Window 0

Stack&Tile is not finished, just good enough for R1.
Many things are possible and have been thought about over the years. From possible auto-tiling and -stacking to better visualisation of the fact windows are tiled/stacked etc. The first step is solving ticket #7868 “Create public API”.

That should make all sorts of things possible for applications.

4 Likes

Actually, I have another proposal for working with windows in full screen mode, I think it is useful have such. I know some apps can work in full screen mode. Lets make it possible for every app (by quick key and icon-button in corner of window (menu right corner?)). This feature also will be useful working on a tablet. It depends on auto-move-tile tab and top-line windows features. So, how it works, for example, several windows are opened or just one in full screen mode, you move cursor to top (or in tablet you grab top line-edge with finger) and from there pull down windows tabs arranged in top-line mode, then you can access windows controls (close apps windows or switch between them) . If you grab tab and pull it down, window quit full screen mode.

Thank you for pointing it out. Now I looked through the docs and found it, along with the link to a corresponding tutorial from BeOS Bible. With this tool, for me GUI seems to be perfect now =) Haiku’s documentation is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Thanks for the people who made it all possible <:3 )~~

Another enhancement for the windows tab is that middle mouse button should work like as “shift + left mouse button”. In order to move window tab with the middle mouse button.

About mouse right button lists and etc. We need a feature to page (column) to long lists, maybe even by user choosing percentage by which lists go to next page (column) (30% and more; 50% and more). When pages (columns) do not fit in the screen must appear narrow list with buttons <> (or maybe even vertically placed < above and > lower), and work like its vertical cousin.

About file types default icons. We need option to restore default icon, some button “default” below icon in file types page?

Restore feature to assign individual icon to a folder (in BeOS this was possible).

3 Likes

restrict a query to a specific folder and (optionally) its subfolders.

5 Likes

Now there’s a feature! :slight_smile:

Tracker status window must be horizontally resizable.

Add keyboard shortcut to hide/unhide all windows on the screen (“left alt + `”?).

Add Ability to reopen all the apps and files after a reboot (or shutdown and boot).

1 Like

Install this: Haiku Depot Server
and associate it with a keyboard shortcut.

Unfortunately that will only hide, not unhide

This one will unhide too, but only from a deskbar replicant, and it has an annoying nag alert.

https://depot.haiku-os.org/#/pkg/winmanip/clasqm/1/0/-/-/1/x86_gcc2?bcguid=bc1050-NPIY

Thanks, but this not sufficient enough, for fast work.
Better then to view the desktop, one can jump to not used by windows workspace, and it is works when is there such.

Remember Stack & Tile settings between reboots.

2 Likes

In Mac OSX Finder, when you select a filename for editing it highlights just the basename, not the extension.

Tracker highlights the base as well as the extension. 9 times out of 10 you don’t want to edit the extension and you end up doing a lot of <right, left left left left> with the arrow keys.

It should be possible to do this in Tracker because I see exactly the same thing as Mac OSX in the Haiku Screenshot utility, so the code exists already.

3 Likes

Caja (ex Nautilus) in Mate desktop (ex gnome 2) works the same: extension not highlights.

Enhancement to app server:
when some application are busy and cannot be rendered its content to the screen app server must show or frozen last image (or some other special image) with some explanation, for ex. “busy” or some (dynamic) clock icon.

Enhancement to Pe editor
– make selected text (for ex. when searching text) highlights not in frame style but in full highlight
background. Frame not enough visible.
– add plugins: for sorting lines, extracting words and some for text-words statistics.

1 Like

It looks like some of these things should rather be bug or enhancement requests on the respectve project’s bug trackers. On the forum they are more likely to get lost.