What do you want from an email client on Haiku?

I am crowdsourcing ideas for this page on our wiki.

How should email clients take advantage of Haiku’s unique features?

What features do modern email clients need?

What features do you think should be in Haiku’s official email client ‘Mail’ and what features should be just left to other Haiku email apps like ‘Beam’ ?

I see you are listing alternative mail clients. Here’s another one: https://depot.haiku-os.org/#/pkg/pooka_j/clasqm/2/0/-/-/3/x86_gcc2. It works well.

The most important part IMO is entering a new account. The easier that is, the more likely it is the client will be used. On Mac OSX I entered my gmail login and password. Boom. Done. No fidgeting around with pop3 or IMAP details, guessing what port it wants to use. just - done.

The easier that is, the more likely it is the client will be used. On Mac OSX I entered my gmail login and password. Boom. Done.

Haiku built-in mail system knows how to do this, for the most common providers. We have a database of providers to match domain name to server settings. gmail should work out of the box with this, of course.

I can confirm that Haiku can create a new new email account similar to what OSX can.
Unfortunately this does not work anymore with my yahoo account. There is a trac ticket about that.
Maybe someone can find the time to update the yahoo data in the background. :wink:

I couldn’t find the ticket. If you can tell us which settings do work, we can update the provider info.

ETA: here’s some explanation on the provider info.

humdinger,
it would be nice if you can make this work again.
The Ticket is #11491
[mail] can no longer send mail from yahoo account via smtp

The provider info and other details is in the ticket.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
An idea for mail in Haiku is a setting where the user can change the port.

I think the built in mail support is well thought out (emails as files seems natural), however there are still some bugs with imap support and it isn’t really usable (at least I found that to be the case). IIRC it lists my emails but it never seems to fetch the content when I try to open one.

How about combine “all in one”:
email, instant messaging, chat capabilities in one application?
Some core app and various addons for various communication options.

I haven’t tried using Yahoo mail from the built in mail app, and I’m currently on a BSD machine. However, in order to send emails thru my Yahoo account from Bezilla Mail. I had to change the following security settings online for my Yahoo account while logged in.

Privacy > Privacy Controls > My Account - Enable “Allow apps that use less secure sign in”

I would like the mail client to allow me to write an email in say StyledEdit or any text editor with the to and from stuff at the top and have the email client send it when it is copied to the outbox folder. This will allow one to easily set up a script to email a response to say a web form or a received email.

1 Like

With a bit of scripting, you may be able to do that from Terminal with the “mail” command. Maybe not exactly what you want, I just wanted to mention it.

It works, but is a bit of a pain to work with. The thread was on what we would like to see with an email client. This is high on my wish list.

How about the old Im_Kit? It’s rusty though could be brought up to date.:thinking:

Can maildaemon work with it?
If it is possible, that idea I like.

I love Beam, it is the most interesting and usable software for email on Haiku.

It would be fine to remove mails first into a temporary folder in Beam called trash and then deleting from there the deleted mails, because you search into it using the attributes.

Do you think mail that has been in the trash for 30 days should be deleted? (Like what Gmail does)

How should virtual folders and labels be handled ?

How should Google’s Tabbed inbox feature be handled ?

I mean a simple folder in beam named “trash”.

If I now delete a mail, it is not moved into the system “trash” folder, but in the beam “trash” folder.

And when I delete the mail from the beam “trash” folder, it is moved into the system “trash” folder.

Has the advantage that one can still search in beam the deleted mails.Helpful in case of an unwanted deletion.

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/12761

That ticket was closed!

You need to copy and paste it to a new ticket here: https://github.com/HaikuArchives/Beam/issues

this is right. i have tried it but does not unterstand how to add a suggestion.

You just create an issue/bug and someone will later recategorise it as a suggestion/enhancement.

If you all ready have a github account, go here, then click on ‘submit new issue’.