What are the main commands used in the haiku terminal?

Hello guys! well, I’m preparing a material for the haiku, I’m trying to write a blog and who knows how to do some video to help the group and whoever brings one more to the haiku side of the force (laughs). but like everything in primetime life comes the study , if possible I would like the help of you. The question is simple actually … what are the main commands used in the haiku terminal? and how much they are similar to what we use in linux … I ask this because I have used haiku for a long time and I never had to use the haiku terminal other than this command:
pkgman update

1 Like

The shell is bash, and most (if not all) of the usual POSIX commands should be available.

There are a few extras. You already know pkgman, but there is also query (to locate files by attributes or name very fast), screenmode (to change the screenmode), open (to open any file or dir with the appropriate app), and hey, which allows to communicate with GUI apps from the Terminal and as a result opens some interesting possibilities. I probably forgot about most of them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haiku is using Bash as default shell as many Linux distributions still do as well, I think. Therefore the internet and book shelfs are chock full with guides and tutorials on all levels.

You can also have a look at the user guide’s Bash and Sripting topic and the page on Haiku-specific commandline applications that introduces some of the extra Haiku CLI apps.

4 Likes

You LIE! “apt-get install systemd” does not work at all! :frog:

This is why I said POSIX, and not “your average Linux distro”. POSIX means exactly this list of commands: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/idx/utilities.html of which apt-get is not part!

8 Likes

Also Haiku User Guide provides a nice list of command line apps:
https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/applications/list-cli-apps.html

I agree with @PulkoMandy. In terms of packages, Haiku has its own package manager, with its own commands. And so do several Gnu/Linux distributions like Void, which uses Xbps (and xbps-install, etc.). The Aptitude package manager only works on Debian and derivatives (like Ubuntu, Mint, and it’s spawn). So, saying “no apt-get” = lie isn’t just unfair to Haiku, it’s unfair to the Gnu/Linux systems that don’t use it — the Red Hat/Fedora/Cent family included. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was only trolling joke.

I guess I didn’t see you were joking; thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Ive putted there "systemd" to make it obvious , but you arent only one that took it serious. :innocent:

It might be better to link to GNU coreutils, which are pre-installed. https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/index.html
"POSIX commands" just describes specifications of commands. GNU coreutils do nearly but not completely conform to POSIX (for reason), but they offer more tools than POSIX specifies.

mmmmm,
why then:

bash: cal: command not found
~>
???

try:

pkgman install cmd:cal

We could make a “posix” package depending on all the needed commands.

5 Likes

pkgman install cal ? (should still work)

1 Like

yes, this command worked
cal command now works on my terminal,
thanks PulkoMandy!

1 Like