What apps do you need on Haiku?

But isn’t Wonderbrush bitmap-based only?

@Pahefu maybe krita will fit as alternative for inkscape for this moment?

1 Like

It states that it works with svg like Inkscape does, but i think it’s kind of a muuuuuuuch greater software than inkscape (source is like 10MB vs 233MB on krita source).

If all the qt/kde dependencies are met, then yes, it could work in haiku, more than a GTK software.

…yes but its already on depot…

Hummm I see. I was just moving myself to x64 version of beta1 as dev machine and had old cache for the repo, so it didnt appear. Doublechecked on web depot and saw it.

Great program to have installed then :thinking:

Not sure if it is really working and how well!? (Krita)

Not at all, Wonderbrush is based on vector shapes and realtime filters applied to them. It is not at all designed to edit bitmap graphics, even if you can import and export them, and use them as “objects”. Most of our promotional material (the Haiku logo, flyers, DVD and covers, stickers, etc) is done with Wonderbrush.

Wonderbrush was also the base for Icon-O-Matic, which shares some of its code.

And the new Wonderbrush 2 seems even better, with a true layer tree, easier manipulation of complex layer tasks thanks to a real-time outline preview, rich text editing, etc. I can’t wait for it to become more complete! And it’s open source now, so finally something I can display at free software events :smiley:

6 Likes

Is it not WonderBrush 3? Iirc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderbrush 2 is open source now.

2 Likes

I would like to have a text expanding utility, something like Typinator or TextExpander on the Mac. Has anyone built something similar?

https://www.ergonis.com/products/typinator/

It could even be integrated in the OS, like in macOS and iOS, but I’m sure it wouldn’t fit the current roadmap for R1.

I’d love to see a proper modern browser with PWA support (I run a group that makes a lot of these), a Discord client, a podcasts app, and a feed reader.

I can use Otter Browser for Discord, but it’s very slow and has a habit of locking up.

For feeds and podcasts, you can try QuiteRSS (Qt). Very complete app, but a bit slow (at least, in my computer).
For native app, you have BePodder.

Both are available at HaikuDepot.

Oh, thank you! I’ll look at those later.

https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/friss/haikuports/0/8/1/-/4/x86_gcc2?bcguid=bc422-LJCI

Friss is broken… it crashes every time I try to add a feed. At least it was when the beta was released.

I think PulkoMandy fixed the issue as I raised it earlier this year (I think?) but I’m guessing the recipe was not updated to get a new build/revision(?).

I updated the recipe, the hpkg is now available: friss-0.8.1-5

2 Likes

Currently I would like to see new updates on “original” BeOS/Haiku apps instead of dozens of ported Qt apps. I personally use Beam every day which works ok but would be nice to see a few updates like localization or getting html view done in example.

4 Likes

I’d love to use Beam but I can’t find an installable image. Where did you get yours from?

Thanks!